Difference between service and isolation valves

Hi All,

I'm about to start swapping out our old bathroom suite and I've noticed that there is no way of stopping the water bar using the stopcock downstairs. I have been told that to conform the current water regs?/byelaws all baths, cistern etc must have a means of isolating the supply, So my question is whats the difference between a service valve and isolating valve or more importantly when should I use either in a bathroom?

Many thanks,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Isolation valve is fitted in the supply line to and appliance and usually has a compression connector at each end. A service valve is fitted directly to the appliance itself and has one compression end and a tap union fitting at the other. The service valve is like a service valve and tap connector combined. As Andy has said valves can be restricted or full bore. Isolation valves come in both but service valves generally tend to be restricted.

Bill

Reply to
BillP