Diesoon v. Numatic Re: Those were the days!

In article , Kennedy McEwen

> > wrote: > > Did you watch "Made in Britain" the other night? =A0Whilst we don't hav= e a > > particularly visible manufacturing capacity in this country anymore, > > manufacturing is still more than 12% of our economy > > That does depend on how you are basing the 'percentage' - as I think the > programme did get around to pointing out at the end. The figure doesn't > necessarily mean that 12 percent of our personal incomes and jobs come fr= om > it. > > > because we do make things here that they don't have the skills or > > technology to make in low cost countries and let them make the things > > our wages would cause to be uneconomic to build here. > > Not quite. Many of the things we make here could just as well be made > abroad in places that have "technology" as good or better then ours. [1] = So > it would be unwise to assume we are 'cleverer than Johnny Foreigner' so > have an inherent advantage. That kind thinking sank our mass makers decad= es > ago. > > This also depends on the firms and people involved, not lines on maps. Wh= at > does vary from place to place is: > > 1) What either banks or venture capital will fund. > > 2) What designers can get (1) to help them turn ideas into products and > make and market them. > > 3) Being able to market them on their image/impact as well as their > content. > > > Jim > > [1] Indeed, in many cases they are. Think of the brands that produce item= s > designed here, but made abroad. Dyson, for example, at a medium-tech leve= l. >

Dyson's are grossly overrated, they're called "die soons" in the trade, Dyson only make a limited range of vacs with built-in obsolesence, and other 'fashionable' products.

The best vacs by far are Numatic, and they're made in the UK, employing over 700 people. They make a wide range of products to meet all requirements.

people make better floor machines though, also manufacturing in the UK:

alexander.keys1

Some 20 years ago I needed a new upright vacuum, and bought the Which best buy. I've found Which ok for things I'm not really interested in. ;-)

That was a Panasonic. My next door neighbour raved about Dyson. She's on her fourth since I bought the Panasonic.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've got an Aquavac Super 30 wet and dry which has taken a real hammering (since IIRC when it was purchased in the mid nineties) and I reckon its still got enough suction to lift a house brick :-)

Reply to
Rick

... pig fugly. Even SWMBO agrees on that one.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

That is impressive.

Do you think that if enough of them were combined together, they could be use to deflect the trajectory of an asteroid?

Reply to
J G Miller

Should work. They are called "vacuum cleaners" aren't they? If it doesn't work. register your complaints under the laws that require items to function as described! :-)

Slainte,

Jim

Reply to
Jim Lesurf

Somehow I don't think that even the most powerful vacuum cleaner imaginable would be much good in space :-)

Reply to
Rick

but surely a 'vacuum cleaner' cleans vacuums

Reply to
charles

She must be mentally defective.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Somehow I don't think that even the most powerful vacuum cleaner imaginable would be much good in space :-)

Reply to
Steve Thackery

There is nothing in a vacuum so they obviously work.

Reply to
dennis

Suction cleaners actually

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

B-)

Trouble is there is plenty of energy in a vacuum, just no matter.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

They _are_ _called_ vacuum cleaners.

Even though "suction cleaner" would be a better term I've never heard it before.

That's when they aren't called Hoovers of course. Regardless of brand.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

OK... let's get practical about this.

So far we have vacuum cleaners floating about in space. If one finds an asteroid to suck on it will just attach itself without noticeable affect to its path. Using a long piece of cable to tether a vacuum cleaner to a suitable planet, or whatever, is a trifle impractical. The solution is to attach a rocket to each vacuum cleaner to pull the vac and attached asteroid in the required direction.

The rocket's exhaust gases will surround the cleaner where it is touching the asteroid thereby giving it something to suck on.

All we need now is an asteroid, a vacuum cleaner and a rocket with which to perform a proof-of-concept experiment.

Plea to doubters: restrain yourselves until the research grant has been obtained.

Reply to
Peter Duncanson

There's no such thing as suction. It's atmospheric pressure that blows the dust into the cleaner.

Reply to
Max Demian

Whilst Sebo are quite expensive (and not made in the UK) they are probably the best upright domestic/commercial range available.

rbel

Reply to
rbel

Of course it will work. I have seen the Megamaid historical documents.

(For those who do not understand the historical documents reference,

)
Reply to
J G Miller

In 1993 I bought a Mercedes/TLK 1100. It's still going strong. The Kalashnikov of vacuum cleaners.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

I bought my first Dyson in 1998, on the recommendation of a number of relatives. Theirs, and mine, are still going strong. Perhaps we were all just lucky?

Reply to
S Viemeister