Diamond wheel tile cutter - poor cut edges

I have a diamond wheel tile saw which, no matter what I do damages the glazed side on the cut edge. It cuts just fine but the cut edge is always poor on the side that matters! whether I cut with the glazed side up or down.

Do I need a better diamond wheel, or complete cutter?

Andy.

Reply to
Andy Dee

Does it do it on different tiles or just the ones you are working with now?

Might be poorly glazed tiles?

Reply to
George

Can't you do it the old fasioned way with a scribing wheel then simply crack it through ? Guaranteed way to get a clean edge if you only do a single line through.

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

It does it on all the tiles I have used it with. It chips the glazed cut edge.

Andy Dee

Worth a try,

Try sticking some masking tape along the line of the cut on the glazed side and cut down through that.

Try it first on a scrap tile as this trick is a good one - but doesn't always work on some materials.

Tanner-'op

Reply to
Tanner-'op

Just to clarify different types/makes of tile?

How are you guiding the tile? Maybe the guide is not exactly parallel with the blade. This can lead to the rising back edge of the blade catching the tile rather than being clear.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You may be using a wheel with too high a grade of grit but it is most likely the tile and will not improve unless you get a very fine grit wheel.

Try some wet and dry, (wet) to finish the edge. This is very effective on the large tiles with the very hard glaze but soft core.

Reply to
EricP

Is it a crackle finish? We bought some tiles like this and they too were a pig to cut, even with a diamond wheel.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

On my machine, I feel that the wheel sticks too far through the table - and that causes the problem. Next time I use it, I shall try placing the tile(s) on a piece of ply or something sop that the saw just cuts (rather than cuts with 10mm extra sticking through).

Reply to
Rod

Are you certain the blade is in good condition? Is it a plain one rather than the type with teeth? Are you taking it gently - letting the saw do the work? Adequate water supply?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I thought the same, inadequate water on the wheel.

My cheapo diamond wheel powered cutter cut everything I threw at it without leaving any rough edges. Plenty of water, and take it steady. Also check the guide is in line with the blade, as has been mentioned elsewhere.

Cheers

Paul.

Reply to
zymurgy

Hi Dave. Yes to all those. Even when the blade was new and going as slowly as possible, with plenty of water, the chipping occurs. I suspect that the type of blade supplied only has the barest minimum diamond and this could be the problem.

Andy Dee

What make is the machine? I've only ever had Plasplugs ones and not had that problem. Of course it might be the tiles.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dave Plowman (News) coughed up some electrons that declared:

Hi Dave,

Have you tried the Plasplugs one on slate or other floor tiles?

Tile machine will be on my "buy" list down the line, and as it was mentioned now...

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Not slate - but plenty of floor tiles. I *think* slate would be easy to get a good cut on.

I love it as I never really got on with the scratch and split ones - too frustrating when you want a narrow bit. But I can see pros liking them because of the speed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

use more water, and use a bit of fine abrasive to smooth off the glazing after cutting.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

it is. cut hundreds with my cheapo no brand cutter.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher