diamond discs

Hello,

I know the faq says that diamond discs last longer than stone or metal cutting discs, but how much longer? I know when to change the stone or metal discs because they are worn down in size. But how do I know when to change a diamond disc? I was trying to chase some concrete today and it just would not cut. Does this mean it's time for a new disc or does it just mean it's particularly hard concrete ;)

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

On a new diamond blade you can see the diamonds zone. It is something like

10mm deep on a 9" disc. They 'wear out' when this section has gone.

A diamond disc will cut granite, concrete lintels, cast iron etc., so it is unlikely your concrete is too hard for it.

mark

Reply to
mark

many many many times. 10s of times.

It just stops cutting. Due to the grooves, a dead disc will still cut very soft materials, though not well, but it just doesnt make much progress in most masonry.

Even the hardest concrete is lunch to a diamond disc. Trying a new disc will quickly answer it.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

With diamond disks costing a quid a time you need to get every last bit out of them. 8-)

Reply to
dennis

Well a typical angle grinder disc lasts about 5 seconds on hard stone or concrete, and a couple of years if its diamond.

They just wear down and stop cutting..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You will see the cutting area around the edge of the disc.

The diamond edge can glaze over if some material are cut, and this will make it seem like it is blunt. If this has happened you need to cut a softer material to remove the glaze

dg

Reply to
dg

Where have you seen them that cheap? Can't be more than 5 minutes of diamond dust on em :)

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I bought a pack of four for £4 in aldi on Tuesday. I have no idea if they are any good but they were the only place with 115 mm disks and I only have a small angle grinder. They were cutting concrete wall blocks as well as the abrasive disks I had before. I figure that they cost less than one bosh abrasive disk from b&q so if they last as long its ok.

Reply to
dennis

I have an ALDI sub£20 angle grinder,(big one), and a pack of diamond disks for it bought last year.

It has become community property as far as neighbours are concerned and spent the summer going from job to job up and down the road. We are still using the first disk in it and it is in use at this very moment cutting concrete posts and gravel boards,(lengthwise), a few doors down.

I was astounded at how this £2 blade has lasted and appears to be lasting. It seems to have suffered little wear so far and goes the length of a six foot gravel board like through butter.

Reply to
EricP

Hello again,

Sorry to reply to the post so late. The disc that I was concerned about was Toolstation code 83764. I think someone recommended something like code 21172, which has "slots" in the disc. I originally chose the continuous-edge disc rather than a slotted one because the blurb said it gave a smoother cut. Is a slotted disc better or doesn't it make any difference?

The photo of 83764 shows the diamond edge as a thick silver stripe around the circumference. I bought a new one and found that mine had worn to a quarter of its thickness: there was probably only four or five millimetres left. Would you change it at that point or would you continue to use it until its all gone?

I figured since I had a new shiny disc, I would use that instead. I had tried two angle grinders (Bosch blue 4 and 9 inch) using their respective versions of the same blade and both are struggling to cut this concrete. In fact the 4 inch almost stalled at one point. The discs have got hot and there are black patches on one or two points where the disc has overheated. Does this mean the discs are fried?

I need to channel for some 15mm pipes to the radiator. I tried my Aldi all chaser and that can't cope either. It's a concrete floor in a

1970's house. What's going wrong?

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

Any ideas re. continuous versus slotted discs anyone?

Just to say that I have managed to cut the concrete now; it just took some perseverance ;)

Reply to
Stephen