DHW Cylinder requirements

Hi All,

A quick question about a DHW cylinder installation. Our existing cylinder has about 12" of copper pipe feeding vertically upwards from the centre of the cylinder before it bends at 90 through an elbow and joins onto the expansion pipe that sits at the side of the airing cupboard. Is there any particular reason for this. I want to fit a new taller cylinder and would like to put a 90 degree bend immediatley following the cylinder outlet, to keep space usage down. Is there any reason why I shouldnt do this?

Also my system seems to work well at the moment without needing a seperate shower feed from the cylinder. Is it still worth having one fitted when I order the cylinder?

Thanks, Matthew

Reply to
Matthew

Since it sounds like a tank fed system you want to keep elbows to a minimum. Bending the pipe gives less flow resistance - and can make a very real difference in a system like this. Of course it means the pipes take up slightly more room as the bend isn't as 'tight' as an elbow and you also can't make a connection quite so close to it. It sounds like yours may originally have had a bend and to utilise the pipe most economically (the bender needs a bit of a tail) was longer than strictly possible.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On 16 Nov 2006 01:54:53 -0800 someone who may be "Matthew" wrote this:-

No reason for the elbow and no reason for the pipe not to remain where it is but shorter. Even better cut off the elbow and put a piece of bent pipe in its place.

If you have any thoughts about solar water heating now is the time to fit a cylinder with a solar coil. You can also have a shower coil fitted which will give you a mains pressure shower.

Reply to
David Hansen

Good advice.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Thanks for the advice, all set for the job now!

Reply to
Matthew