DG update - ordered

We requested quotes from three DG companies. The first a small local installer, which turned out to be the cheapest/ best spec..

Followed by two quotes from a couple of the larger installers. Both of these initially put in much higher quotes then found strange reasons to reduce their quotes as time passed. Both of these seemed to be just salesmen on commission, neither very knowledgeable and both extremely pushy. One even asked if we could afford their quality of DG - WHAT? He had to be invited to leave, it seemed he was going to sit there until he got an order.

So back to the first one who had obviously installed DG himself, never made a nuisance of himself, never pestered, came recommended and just offered one quoted price. He had also quoted for better than the basic spec. unasked and took the trouble to explain his reasoning for the quoted opening styles for the 13 various windows.

So if you might be considering new DG, my advice would be forget the national companies advertising on TV - just find a small local company with a good reputation, they don't need to advertise.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Ours was done by a small local company. Exactly the design of window we wanted, to look very like the original wood frames that were coming out. Good price. Didn't take long to be ready, and was installed in two days by two very personable lads who just got on with the job without any fuss. Clean tidy workers. Took all the old windows away, and all their own rubbish. Did a lovely job of making good and sealing both inside and out. Based on my experience, I would recommend a small local outfit over the big boys, every time.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Ditto for Phoenix windows in Norfolk that did ours, and they didn't ask for a penny before the job was finished to our satisfaction.

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

Absolutely. And if anyone else is in my neck of the woods, Robert Winstanley Windows has my recommendation, with New Romney Glass a close second.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

I think we are all in agreement then! I also have found that the small local installers give a better quote straight off, don't hassle you, and do a good job. Most of the big companies are just rip-off merchants and I'm amazed that anyone would give business to 'Safestyle UK' with that long haired idiot on the TV ad screaming: "I say you buy one you get one free, you buy one you get one free..."

Reply to
Ret.

Many years ago, we got DG for a previous house, and had exactly the same experience.

The worst one at the time was Anglian Windows. We had a look in their showroom - and the quality there was dreadful! Badly fitted, etc. If they couldn't get that right...

Reply to
Bob Eager

company

+1

+1

Avoid Anglian at all costs. All the high pressure selling techniques in the book then some. Abismal installation, mess everywhere. Complaining gets you no where, they appear to operate on an area franchise basis. Head office don't want to know and bounce you back to the local office who don't care. It's telling that the one covering St Albans employed at least one full time "trouble shooting" team, the installers themselves are not employees of Anglian (head office or local branch) but contractors/freelancers.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

+1 on that all right.

If you're anywhere near Whitstable we can recommend Mark Russell Glazing.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Definitely, I use a local manufacturer / supplier that makes the frames and the glass. Very good prices quoted, about 30% of the big nationals (without fitting of course). Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

I've noticed a few places round here that have large wheeled cages outside, containing PVCu offcuts which, to me, suggests that the windows are being made on site.

If you can find a local manufacturer, ask to see windows being made and inspect the reinforcing for yourself ...

Reply to
Terry Casey

Yes, I've heard good things about them. And we're 5 miles from Whistable...

Reply to
Bob Eager

He inspects every sq cm and calls them back for the slightest fault, before paying. Same with carpets, furniture, garden fences etc. I think he had 3 new leather suites before he was happy. Tiny watermark on the ceiling from a leak and he had the whole lot reskimmed.

Reply to
brass monkey

MuddyMike used his keyboard to write :

the local one we have engaged said they don't want anything up front, just pay when the job is done to our entire satisfaction. I was fully expecting them to ask for a 50% deposit (perfectly reasonable) to show good faith to cover the cost of making the windows up.

The bit which concerned me most when considering DIY, was the bay as its all wood framed. They say they remove all of the wood, support it on temporarily on Acros and their windows are specially reinforced to support the weight.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

[snip]

Maybe you would both like to name the companies and their location so others may benefit from their good service...

Reply to
funkyoldcortina

I'm in my early thirties and have gone the same way. I also do mystery shopping, and god help anyone giving bad service then. However, good service gets a glowing report, either way you get a warm glow knowing that the person serving you will get what they deserve :-). But I've got fed up of paying for bad service, and now refuse to put up with it.

Reply to
Simon Finnigan

Yep, the little guy gets crapped upon. I had a Visionics video streamer, after 7 weeks it died. 4 weeks after that they were still 'waiting for a part'. I sent an email tickler and got, 'when the part comes it'll be repaired and you'll get it back'. A week later I asked for 'the address of someone in charge so I could send a stinking letter'. Received a brand new one after a few days. Basically, nobody gives a shit.

Reply to
brass monkey

Higham Windows, I think they were called. Rushden, Northants. They were associates of a pair of regular customers of ours when we had the cafes. They were general builders, and fixed it all up for us.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

That isn't strictly true. The repair option over the replacement one will always be preferred by the supplier. Unfortunately, the spares situation with many electronic equipment manufacturers, is now worse than useless. For instance, I have been waiting on parts from Marshall for one of their amplifiers, for nearly two months. And that is by no means uncommon. As the guy at the sharp end, I do my level best to get those parts to keep my trade customer happy, who is, in general, trying his best to keep his retail customer happy. We both give a shit, and hate the situations that these delays put us in with our customers, but sadly, it's the way of the world now, and it seems that there is little that can be done about it. I rather suspect that the world economic climate has led to manufacturers not over-producing any more than they have to, which has led to a scaling back of spare and warranty parts inventory.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

I once got a full refund for a show where they changed the seating giving me a rubbish seat, as well as a pair of house seats for another show. I give a company one chance to be sensible, then I go all out. So far not had a bad result :-)

Reply to
Simon Finnigan