DG & Trickle Vents

Just about to have some new plastic DG fitted. Total fit around large house.

The guy from the company noticed that some of our DG windows (all of softwood, 'cos that's why we're replacing) said, "Where you have trickle vents already fitted, we'll have to do the same".

We had an extension added about 12 years ago and the DG on wood frames in that part of the house all have trickle vents. The rest of the house has older DG on wood, done 25+ years ago without trickles.

Questions:

  1. Is it correct that he has to put trickles where they are already?
  2. Why, if this is a good idea, isn't he insisting that they are fitted in the older part of my house?
  3. Why are trickle vents a good idea given that: a. no condensation in the older part of the house which is without them, and b. if I am spending so much money to save energy, why would I want to have a route for drafts back into my house?

I think the expanded foam canister beckons.

Reply to
naffer

I *think* the regs about having trickle vents would have come in between

12 and 25 years ago?

There's a basic rule that when replacing windows you can't 'downgrade' them (in terms of compliance with regulations); so if trickle vents are in place in the old windows, you can't replace them with new windows without the vents.

David

Reply to
Lobster

In article , naffer writes

There is not a specific requirement for trickle vents but there is a requirement for there to be sufficient background ventilation in the property once new windows are fitted.

In older properties this may have come in the form of drafts from the original windows or from other sources, hence the lack of condensation. Once drafty windows are replaced, condensation may occur.

Modern trickle vents do seal much better than early ones so should not introduce drafts and pass only a little extra noise.

I have wooden sliding sash windows here without vents as I think they look awful on wooden windows but if I was installing placcy ones I'd put a few in knowing that I could foam them up if there were any negative effects.

If you really don't want them then bully the supplier into not fitting them by saying that you will go elsewhere. If it smoothes their feathers a little then you can tell them that background ventilation is being provided by other means in accordance with the regs.

Reply to
fred

When dealing with building regs, a general guideline of not making things worse than they were applies

Specify that the vents have "hit'n'miss" grills, or other controls such that they can be turned off and then you have the option either way.

Full gory details here:

John Rumm

The requirement is all about ventilation. How you achieve it is your business, as long as the BCO is happy.

Its idiotic, BUT as long as there exists so many square mm of vent to the outside world above height X the regulation is satisfied.

Trickle vents merely ensure that replacement windows into an otherwise compliant room didn't suddenly suffocate the occupants. But a 4" pipe through the wall with a hit and miss grille on the inside also meets regulations.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not sure about the height requirement, but open fireplaces would introduce background ventilation (or howling gales !).

When having a fensa fitting, are the rules tigher or more limited than when doing a building regs application ?

No reason not to go the building regs route - the cost of an application will be small compared to the replacement of all the windows in the house. Presumably the fitter would be OK with this.

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

With decent DG units it may occur somewhere other than on the windows, depending how cold the walls/ceiling are.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Yep I have a new house and no trickle vents fitted ... met requirements elsewhere.

Reply to
Rick Hughes