deterring foxes

Go out at night and run 1/2 pt. of petrol down their hole, then block it up with something if you can, probably won't be necessary, though. Alternatively, play the flame of a blowlamp on the hole entrance, they won't be able fly at you without wings.

Use spray-on wasp killer if they're in a hole in your house.

DIY a beekeepers veil with net curtain & some wire. Dress up, no skin exposed, and they can't get you. If the nest is in a bush, dress up like that, go out at night, slide a carrier bag around the nest, close the top, slide off the twig, run some petrol into the bag, it'll kill them fast.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

At least IMM is usually on-topic.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

In message , Mary Fisher writes

It helps to keep the badgers fed and well.

We have badgers, foxes and rabbits at home, plus a very odd horse and an assortment of rats and mice. The only ones that we try and deter are the rats and mice, we are quite happy to share our bit of space with all the others. The badgers used to love it when the foxes killed the hens as we would bury the hens and then the badgers would dig them up a few weeks later for the maggots!

Reply to
Bill

In message , Mary Fisher writes

Too right!

Reply to
Bill

Provided that topic is 'snip rubbish'...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Don't get me wrong, I don't like his "rubbish" posts either, nor the constant sniping at him, not all this bloody OT tittle-tattle. Some is to be expected, but too much spoils things. I wonder whether "Agnus" and "Mlacom" and the others are still making u.c.e unusable. That is the end result...

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Not as easy to do efficiently as you'd think. You really need black net - available from bridal departments of large stores.

Oh yes they can!

Waste of petrol, smelly and not without hazard to the operator. Instead, put the bag and contents in the freezer for a few hours. Effective and humane - and very cheap.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I'd like horses, definitely don't want badgers and fox, you can't get rid of rodents and I don't mind them.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

"If you two don't renounce violence immediately I'll thump you"

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Hey! I didn't write that first line! It sounds like sociological jargon.

I'm totally non-combatant.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Just opened this post, and got as far as this before realising you weren't talking about foxes...!

David

Reply to
Lobster

Yes, I thought about that in the night.

They haven't managed our 2m chain link fence. Perhaps having a very slight 'give' in the fencing is a deterrent.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Badgers are fine provided you regularly put out a little food where you don't want them to poo. Only problem with them is they eat hedgehogs.

Foxes are more variable - some are well behaved and some are as bad as humans.

Reply to
Mike

They just ask the badger to dig under it for them.

Reply to
Mike

And they're carriers of nasties. People get het up because of rats and Weils but badgers are vectors of worse things.

I don't want humans in my back garden either, unless I invite them in.

Do you want uninvited humans in your back garden?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Fox can dig a couple of feet under fences.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Unfortunately the ramblers have a right of way.

Reply to
Mike

Except where the world needs to be put to rights about what swarms and what doesn't ;)

Andrew

Please note that the email address used for posting usenet messages is configured such that my antispam filter will automatically update itself so that the senders email address is flagged as spam. If you do need to contact me please visit my web site and submit an enquiry -

Andrew McKay

Surely this ng is about those who don't know wanting to learn, which involves those who do know doing the teaching?

And that doesn't involve combat, well, perhaps intellectual but certainly not physical, that's never been my style.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

In message , Mary Fisher writes

I've never seen a wasps' nest in a bush, but that'd work if you did. In more normal locations like holes in the ground, I do this (no special clothes required):

Stand and watch the entrance from about three feet away until there's a gap in the traffic, then step up to it and shake half a teaspoonful of powder insecticide onto their landing pad. Then walk away again. The wasps won't react. Do it on a warm dry day or the damp'll cake your powder and it won't work.

If you want to get rid of a hanging nest in an outhouse, make sure your escape route's clear before giving it a good puff of powder, then leave the building as fast as possible, jumping off the ladder if you used one. Stop outside the doorway and watch the fun - they'll go spare, but they won't go looking for you.

Wasps are terribly destructive of fruit crops, so badgers are welcome to all they can find.

Reply to
Sue