determine flow direction in drained-down system at boiler?

Having googled this, I realise I should have figured out the flow and return of each rad before taking the system to pieces. Hindsight etc!

Unfortunately, the system is completely drained down, and all the old rads have been removed. So checking which side of each rad gets hot first could be a challenge!

However, access to almost all pipes under-floor is currently good, so I could "easily" do some tracing.

In a drained-down system, how can I tell, at the boiler, which is flow and which is return?

TIA

Cheers, David.

Reply to
David Robinson

Any arrows on the pump? The boiler may also have indications of which terminals are flow & return. If not, you can almost certainly google for a boiler manual which would show which was which.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

What sort of boiler, and where is the pump? What type of system - i.e. combi, Y plan etc?

Reply to
John Rumm

Why do you need to know: you'll soon find out when you put the rads back and turn them on?

spamlet

And then find that you've fitted the TRVs the wrong way round? No thanks.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

ITYF that most TRVs nowadays don't care about direction of flow. Certainly my Danfoss ones fitted six or seven years ago are bi-directional.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

IMHO: TRVs belong in the recycling bin where they will do the most for the environment, and save an awful lot of time faffing about unsticking them all the time.

spamlet