Desk fan problem

The message from "Sylvain VAN DER WALDE" contains these words:

I tend to favour experience over believing manufacturers' claims. In my experience, WD40 does not make a good lubricant compared, for example, to 3in1 oil for things like motor shafts.

Reply to
Guy King

It's not a "water dispersant first and foremost", although it's well known for this particular use. I quote again from the the aerosol can:

Drives out moisture (sub-heading).

"Drives out water on metal surfaces e.g. electrical contacts, car ignitions, tools (incl. garden), motorcycle engines and outboard motors.

I've worked in vehicle fleet maintenance and repair workshops, and private garages, for 30+ years; which involved attending breakdowns. Never once did I carry and/or use WD-40 or similar stuff, nor did any other mechanics that I worked with. WD-40, "in my book" is just a good penetrating oil.

Sylvain.

Reply to
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE

Where in any one of my messages in this thread have I stated that WD-40 is a good lubricant? I haven't. It's a good _penetrating_ oil that can work in some cases without the addition of _lubricating_ oil. Preferrably, in the case of fans, I would add/use a thin multi-purpose oil.

Sylvain.

Reply to
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE

The message from "Sylvain VAN DER WALDE" contains these words:

Well, at the top of the bit I'm quoting now, which you copied from the can, "lubricates hinges". You quoted it to support the argument that it is a lubricant. I introduced the word good to distinguish your quoting from the can from my experience of it as a /good/ lubricant.

Reply to
Guy King