Designing a viewing platform

I wish to build a viewing platform by tomorrow, in time to watch the Rugby World Cup opening. Although it's on a steep cliff the platform will be less than 1 metre from the ground. I'd like a roof on it. The roof area will be less than 10 square metres therefore doesn't need a permit. I imagine it will be 3 metres long by 1.2 metres wide or thereabouts - enough for four chairs. The handrail on front will be extra wide and do for a table. I'll need to dig into the sandstone cliff and put a retaining wall above and below. I have enough ground-treated timber and roofing iron to do the job.

Once I've built it I have a feeling that I will have missed out something important. I'll have 12 volt electric lights, and a cordless phone. What have I forgotten? A fridge would not be needed. Maybe CCTV to see who's at my front door.

Reply to
Matty F

Blimey Matty! I DO HOPE that you're going to put pictures up somewhere! Your projects are always a bit of a treat for us amateurs!

Best of luck with it all mate!

John

Reply to
Another John

Today I built a fence at the top of the cliff. I had to carry sheets of corrugated iron and posts up a steep ladder and up the cliff. That quite tired me out!

Reply to
Matty F

Not being well up on these matters, do you have line of sight to the venue, or is this simply an interesting location for your TV?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

A turnstile for the paying guests?.

Reply to
mark

Chris, In case it helps you decide, it's in New Zealand.

tim

Reply to
tim....

I know Matty is, I confess to having not the faintest idea about the rugby.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

No, I meant the Rugby is.

I had no idea where Matty is.

tim

Reply to
tim....

At 4pm fleet of 20 waka and other boats arrive in the harbour, which I overlook. At 8pm the opening has a sound and light show which is promised to be the most spectacular event ever seen here. i.e. lasers and fireworks. The wide handrail will be excellent for the tripods for our cameras. At 8.15pm the first rugby match starts, which I will not be watching since I'm not interested in rugby. At 2am the party closes. Then I might get some sleep.

Matty F

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I finished the base of the platform. The roof and handrail are still to go on.

The cliff before:

platform:
view from the platform:

Matty F