Descaler for boiler

Friend has had a boiler installed and it says in the instruction manual that "a proprietary scale-reducing device is fitted to the boiler cold supply". Needless to say I can't see any sort of scale reducing device.

Can anyone suggest a suitable device?

sponix

Reply to
sponix

Needless to say I can't see any sort of scale reducing device.

Can anyone suggest a suitable device?

raden

Yes but DIM will be along to advise you further.

Reply to
EricP

However hint: it is not an electromagnetic wurlitzer in front of the brennwertkessel.

Reply to
Andy Hall

There are two types of devices that are suitable.

  1. A phosphate dosing system.
  2. An ion exchange water softener.

The first one takes a cartridge or sphere container that needs replacing about every year or so at about 20 quid a pop. It is relative cheap to buy. It will prevent scaling up of the heat exchanger, but will do little else.

The second type will actually soften the water, making it feel nicer on the skin (especially for those suffering from ezcema), be entirely effective in eliminating scale (even slowly dissolving that already present) and mean you only need about half as much soap and cleaning products. It is much more expensive to buy. It is also more expensive to run as it needs topping up with salt, although the cost of the salt is usually less than that of the saved toiletries, especially if you're not buying supermarket economy brands.

Other devices are magnetic and electronic water conditioners. These are as effective as casting a spell on the pipework, although many otherwise reputable companies are willing to tout them due to people's desire for a magic wand with no running costs.

Before fitting anything, test the hardness of your water supply with a testing kit to determine that your water is sufficiently hard to warrant treatment.

Typical phosphate dosing system:

water softeners:
testing kit:
(Cheaper water softeners are available, but always ensure that they are "metered" types rather than "timer" only systems.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Is it as effective as one of those electronic thingumagigs?

sponix

Reply to
Sponix

Well, the manual that the bloke got given doesn't specify a type of conditioner, just that one should be fitted.

Turning it around the other way, how easy is it to descale the heat exchanger on a boiler? Can it be done in situ?

sponix

Reply to
Sponix

You might be able to save buying a testing kit by calling your local water company. I bought a dishwasher recently & in the instructions it advised calling the local water company to find out water hardness levels (so that you can get the salt level right).

I called the Customer Service number for Thames Water thinking I'd get no intelligent response, but the very helpful woman gave me the reading on 3 different scales within about 10 secs.

I don't know how this is measured or if it's accurate enough for your needs - but it might save having to buy a testing kit.

Regards,

Michael

Reply to
michaeld121

Out of interest, what was the official figure? I'm in Reading on Thames Water and measured 290ppm at the tap.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

They didn't give it to me in ppm, but in two scales I'd never heard of:

15.4 degrees H and 19.3 degrees Clarke (FYI I'm in Kingston). From the table that came with the dishwasher this looks a touch harder than average.

Regards,

Michael

Reply to
michaeld121

The water co say it's 266ppm. According to the manual that came with the boiler they recommend a descaler above 200ppm.

I'll pass on the info about dosing systems as this will probably be the best approach.

sponix

Reply to
Sponix