Dentist

At a visit to the dentist today I reflected on what fantastic materials they have access to. Some would be really useful in DIY.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

The polymer filling materials also have a fantastic price

Reply to
newshound

Silicone sealer, superglue, acrylic filler paste, alginate paste. That's three from the DIY toolbox and one from the kitchen.

The only difference is that the medical grade versions cost £100s for an amount too small to be useful for DIY.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Me 2. Like the ultra high speed fine pressure washer she descaled my teeth with.

My niece IS the dentist.

She did offer me lots f that stuff they make moulds with.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Umm.. I asked about that. AFAIR it is a vibrating probe with lots of water.

Long way from the old string driven drill!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

The ultrasonic (?) descaler always impresses me, and the way the modern filling materials can be built up in successive layers curing each one with violet light (which the dentist tells me is not actually UV.

One thing I must mention which was recommended to me by the hygenist is a water pick. Some of my teeth are so close that flossing is difficult and my hygenist recommended a water pick (around £45 from amazon) and it has turned out to be easy to use and amazingly effective. They are a hand held rechargeable device which is filled with warm water and pumps a needle jet of high pressure water which one directs between the teeth and into the gum lines. Just 2 weeks use has cleared up a long standing gum problem and I cannot speak too highly of them - although time will tell on how durable they are.

djornsk

That is worth knowing

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Aye, says him with big teeth and small jaw...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Our hygenist trialed the ultrasonic descaler for a while, but has gone back to traditional scrape and polish

Interesting, which one? A bit of a range of opinions on Amazon.

Reply to
newshound

All the better to *bite* you with, my dear!

Reply to
Tim Streater

On the unit are the words "Water Pick water flosser" so I would guess water pick is the brand, but to reiterate the proof of the pudding will be how long it survives which might not be reflected by the initial reviews.

djornsk