Denso tape

Does anyone have experience of using this? Does it dry out? If so, how long should be allowed before water is run through the pipe? If not, how does it work?

Many thanks for replies to any or all of this.

Reply to
Ariadne

Yes. It's a waxy, gooey cloth tape that smells wonderful (if you like linseed putty and that kind of thing). Not that it smells specifically like putty - it's just the gunginess of it that appeals.

No it isn't meant to dry out. The typical application is to wrap around pipes being buried in concrete etc. It protects them from corrosion and also allows some longitudinal movement. You can use the pipe immediately.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Fantastic reply! Thank you very much. (I like it too.)

Reply to
Ariadne

One of its uses is where you have bare metal pipe underground to prevent corrosion. It is usually over wrapped with 50mm wide pvc tape to stop it drying out.

I wouldn't have thought it very good as a waterpipe repair. Maybe for drainpipe.

mark

Reply to
Mark

experience of using this?

It is for a drainpipe and thank you very much for those additions.

Reply to
Ariadne

If the end result will be visible, you can use a finishing 'paste' applied by hand to give a smooth almost glossy finish.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Interesting web site with free CD

The Medway Handyman

You mean to smooth the tape?

Reply to
Ariadne

Thank you very much for that. Amazing products.

Reply to
Ariadne

'Tis brilliant stuff for low pressure pipework, particularly drainage. The other respondents have also praised its virtues for use round pipework in concrete - I agree. I have also used it as a temporary solution for mains pressure joints - where minor leaks can be accepted; that is, where temporary mains needed on a building site or similar. Go for it!

Reply to
clot

Thank you. It's turned into a great thread and a brilliant advertisement for Denso tape.

Reply to
Ariadne

Yes - the 'paste' (which I think was originally meant as a primer, BICBW), was primarily the vaseline-like grease contained in the tape. It came in a tin about 5" dia and 1½" deep.

Obviously, since the tape (with or without the paste stuff) stays largely greasy, it won't take paint properly. An 'industrial' finish looks nicer anyway!

Reply to
Frank Erskine

It had no paste and no instructions but I got it into a nice shape anyway and smoothed the weave quite a lot. It looks OK but I will cover it with PVC tape tomorrow.

Reply to
Ariadne

replying to Ariadne, Jo wrote: Can I paint over the tape when it?s still wet?

Reply to
Jo

It wasn't wet to start with. Oily and waxy perhaps and I expect it is due for replacement now after 11 years.

Reply to
Andrew

I'd be surprised, assuming it is the Denso tape like bandage impregnated with putty, if it will 'accept' paint. In my experience it says 'oily' for ages (a good thing for the applications I use it for) and the paint wouldn't dry.

For example, I use it to protect antenna connections. I checked one I protected may be 3 or 4 years ago the other day and the tape was still 'oily'- exactly why I use it.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Wouldn't self amalgamating tape be preferable for that type of application?

Reply to
alan_m

You can't really paint it at any time. Once its completely dry it needs replacing.

Reply to
John Rumm

Horrible stuff.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

True, but there are not many things that does what it does as well as it does it.

Reply to
John Rumm