dennis is moving to Bristol

Around cars it surely is. One or the other, not both.

Mind you being able to drive at up to 45mph* without a helmet and with no test or license on a public road is, to say the least, weird.

And as usual in our last visit to Cambridge after dark, cycle lights were in the vast minority as were cyclists not on the pavement, cycling across pedestrian crossings when it suited them and undertaking cars at traffic lights and the like.

  • my personal fastest ever on a bicycle, as established by glancing at the speedo of the van I overtook coming down the North Downs.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Why do idiots always try to justify speeding by coming up with people driving dangerously at less than the speed limit? Just what do they think it proves other than their stupidity?

Reply to
dennis

Hmm.. I have had a couple of senile old dears walk out in front of me while I was doing 40 mph. However I saw them and took avoiding action. Senile old dears don't usually move very fast so you have plenty of time to see them and do something about it. They aren't like the cyclists that shoot across the road from walkways and places like that.

Reply to
dennis

That 99% of accidents are caused by stupid drivers or bad luck, not failure to keep exactly to arbitrary speed limits?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not if its 15 feet in front of you. She was standing on te kerb IIRC and took three steps into the road .. the guy smoked his styres but he still hit her at maybe 12 mph

She did a cartwheel - I remember her knickers on display, and broke her neck. I remember the blood coming out of her nose and ears.

Bit strange for a 12 year old boy, really.

They are just as bad.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It does take a bit of practice to his the cyclists.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I've found running Sygic on my 'droid to be a great help. Not only does it go "beep" for speed cameras, it goes "beep" everytime I exceed the stated road speed by >10% which generally means I don't bother looking at the speedo constantly.

This has noticeably increased my being able to look at the road - a great improvement in the country where the limits change from anything between

20mph to 70mph every 1/4 mile or more...
Reply to
Tim Watts
8<

No, 99% of accidents are caused because the driver was going too fast. Luck is not required.

Reply to
dennis

So he saw a senile old dear standing on the kerb about to step off and still didn't slow down.

Hmm, I bet its hard to get a person to do a cartwheel from a 12 mph impact.

Reply to
dennis

I just engage the speed limiter!

Reply to
Bob Eager

He didn't take any evasive action like turning that round thing in front of him? Or is this pre ABS so he braked too hard and lost control of the vehicle in a skid?

Not so sure having been run over, well hoisted right up onto the bonnet of a car and shoved off to the side by the windscreen in a low speed collision at traffic lights that had just changed.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Cite please...

Reply to
Tim Watts

No, she's old enough not to notice how fast I am driving...!

This is a real one..

Reply to
Bob Eager

Reminds me of te time we ran my late moter up to Yorkshire in the old XJS.. and as she had made us late rather fast.. "What speed are we doing she said?" and leaned across to see 'oh, only 50 miles an hour. It seems faster than that'

The dear old bat was reading the revcounter, thank heavens. :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

What gear? In top that would make it about 150 mph which the old XJS couldn't do.

Reply to
dennis

It might be they just speed up when the see the line dennis wannabes in the hope of getting a few ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

I really cant remember. Might have been 4th. Twas the 3.6 liter 5 speed manual.

For sure IIRC the old girl was stuck on 130mphh top speed. IIRC we were doing between 110 and 120..:-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , "dennis@home" writes

Err .. bullshit boi

You usually define "going too fast" as exceeding the posted speed limit

Reply to
geoff

Yep - Denise just buried himself - I was waiting for that.

Reply to
Tim Watts

This is dennis remember, definitions and constants can change at will to suite the argument of the moment.

Reply to
John Rumm