demolition of sectional concrete garage - 1.5T or 3T mini excavator?

A question for anyone with knowledge of either 1960's build concrete garages or mini excavators and breaker attachments. I have a little weekend project to safely bring down a garage like the one in this link:-

have 2 main areas of query:-

  1. I know it is made from concrete panels about 2m tall x 1m wide x
0.03m thick, but that is about it. Are they reinforced? And more generally does anyone have an idea as to how they are put up and therefore can safely be demolished?

  1. The area in which I am working in is restricted and I can only pull it down from the inside. I want to know if a 1.5 ton machine, with breaker will be able to handle it? I should be able to get decent purches on the top of the section with the bucket and lever the panels down, but ultimately the answer to this one may rely on whether the concrete sections are reinforced. If they are reinforced they will be a real pig to move. I am sure the 3 ton machine would be capable of demolishing both the garage and the base, but it would obviously cost more to hire and would be a bit of a squeeze in the driveway.

Any advise on either of the two questions would be welcomed.

Thanks

Dug

Reply to
Dug

Hi

ISTR that the panels were reinforced with iron bars - and were bolted together - I'd imagine that an angle-grinder to the bolts (they'll be rusted !) would be simpler than just using brute force . You might still need the digger but in a 'subtle' fashion ..

I think that the reinforced side sections just sat on the foundations

- i.e. not built in - so they should be fairly easy to shift.....

Mind - I never tried to dismantle my garage.....!

Adrian Suffolk UK ======return email munged================= take out the papers and the trash to reply

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

take it to bits, using a spanner &/or some bolt croppers. Are you trolling? You might even be able to sell the thing for cash.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Use the bolt croppers to split the nuts off the bolts.

And another thing. Hire a "heavy duty electric concrete breaker" to break up the base, if you need to, and chuck it in a skip. 3 ton excavator, indeed. You *must* be trolling.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Some of us aquire bad backs through hard graft over the years you know. :-P

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Please excuse my ignorance, but what the heck is trolling?

Reply to
Dug

I agree, I have used a jack hammer before and for once I will let the digger do the work. I have been assured that, assuming the base of the garage is not reinforced, a standard beaker for a 1.5T machine should be capable of breaking through 150-200mm of concrete section. It makes sense if I can dismantle the thing using an angle grinder and drag the sections away that would be the safest method.

Thanks

Dug

Reply to
Dug

Basically asking (often silly or provocative) questions or voicing (often silly or provocative) opinions in the hope of generating a long (silly/argumentative)thread in response. Trolls enjoy generating these threads and aren't fussed how they do it. They just enjoy the ensuing thread. Contributing to such a thread is known as 'feeding' the troll. Trolling is pretty juvenile really and probably reflects the age of the troll.

Reply to
Paul Andrews

I see, that'll account for the ones in 'Steam powered cars' then. pmsl

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

As others have said they come apart quite easily and doing it by hand is probably simplest. Also bear in mind the roofs were frequently asbestos cement sheet. If you break these up and mix them with the discarded concrete slabs then if you are taking them to a commercial or council tip the whole load will be rejected and have to be disposed of as special waste.

Reply to
Peter Parry

The OP could always ring this guy if he's anywhere near Glocs

DO NOT BID ON THIS ADVERT all bids will be cancelled. I am looking for a large garage 20ft wide - 23ft deep - tall with apex roof if possible,these sizes are approximatly.(must be in good condition) good price paid, tel ron on 07976 731349 thanks. Will travel/ dismantle and clear site if needed.

Reply to
zikkimalambo

Yeah, the roof is asbestos! I will dispose of this seperately. Thanks.

Reply to
Dug

I light of the definition of "trolling" I have now discovered, no I was not intentionally. The larger machine suggestion was to remove the quantity of concrete within the garage construction and rip up its thick base (7" thick at its thickest) successfully.

Reply to
Dug

Give it away on Freecycle :-)

Reply to
Rob Morley

Adrian,

How were the panels reinforced (if you know)? Was is using a large wire mesh as such throughout the entire panel? Hence could they easily be broken up into smaller managable pieces?

Dug

Reply to
Dug

Don't think it was mesh - more likely to be a number of solid bars.....

Can't you sell / give it to somebody - I'd have thought you might find somebody who would take it off your hands and asve you the hassle of smashing it up & carting it away....

Adrian Suffolk UK

======return email munged================= take out the papers and the trash to reply

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

Could do. Its not my garage to sell. I'm just doing the destruction!

Thats interesting about the reinforcing bars. I have now found a few poor quality pictures that suggest the same thing. Thanks

Reply to
Dug