Demolition breaker

I've been offered a demolition breaker for 50 notes - are they useful for anything other than demolition? I assume not, but thougth I'd ask :) Its about 10kg.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

What make?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

It's conceivable that in the right circumstances it would do a better job than an angle grinder.

Reply to
Ronald Raygun

Unless you have specific recurring use for it, then they are handy on the very odd occasion you need something that punches harder than a SDS, but not quite into full breaker territory. I can only recall a couple of jobs where I would have liked one. Having said that £50 is probably not far off medium term hire price, so if you have storage space for it, it might be worth having if its a decent one.

Reply to
John Rumm

You can dig with it. If it's only 50, a reasonable make, reasonable life left in it and uses some source of power that you can supply, then I'd go for it. I used one recently to trench concrete for SWA out to a shed.

Mine is a Bosch (=A31500 list today!) that I got in an auction for a tenner. Great deal, except that it's 400Hz (ex RAF Regiment, bizarrely) and it cost me =A360 for a ex-mil generator to drive it (Anchor, couldn't give them away). Paid for itself on the first job though.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Tabby saying something like:

Heap big tool, buy.

Even if you never use it, it's worthwhile getting it just to have it.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Unfortunately its a McAllister, unlike the other stuff, mostly dewalt. I'm kinda torn between passing on it, I dont do much demolition, but there is one demo job to do at some point, and it seems a fair option cost wise.

FWIW it comes with the bits.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Its 240v, so no problems there. Sounds like you got a deal.

I know they use 400Hz on planes, but cant imagine needing a demo breaker on a plane.

NT

Reply to
Tabby