Demolishing a penthouse

Apparently (according to the BBC) the new owners of Jimmy Saville's penthouse flat are going to demolish it and build something else. Let alone the covenants on what's presumably a top floor leasehold flat, how would you get building regs approval for plonking something different on top?

Reply to
Roland Perry

You go down to the Planning Department and fill out all the necessary forms. Under most circumstances, I would expect planning approval to be the stumbling block, rather than building regs approval. However, in this case, I suspect they will get a very sympathetic hearing from the planning committee.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

What they gonna put there though. I dare not say what I'm thinking.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

If they have any sense, at least two apartments. One would still run the risk of it being linked in many people's minds to the previous owner.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I wonder if they got it cheap?

Reply to
harry

AIUI, about £100k below the original asking price.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Dunno about replacing one that's already there, but a block down the road from my sister was allowed to build a penthouse on the top of their flat roof

tim

Reply to
tim.....

You would get Building Regulations approval by building something that complied with the requirements for structure, fire safety, resistance to moisture, etc.

Planning Permission is a whole different matter.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

Wasn't something like that done on top of a block on Bournemouth/Boscombe seafront and it featured in an early edition of Grand Designs or similar programme? Two things I remember about it, inadequate weather protection and they took a gamble against rain and lost causing damage to the existing properties below but didn't really care much they had done so. Installation of Led lighting that changed colour in some sort of roof dome thing which the woman of the partnership decided was worth adding about £3000 on the cost. probably be able to do it for about £50 with bits from ebay now. I have a feeling we discussed the project and rain damage on this group but it'll be a fair while back.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

I called in at the Planning Office and had a look at their proposals.

There are three photos of the existing penthouse alongside three artist's impressions of what they intend to build.

Under the pictures it says, "Now... then... Now... then... Now... then..."

Reply to
mike

In message , at

00:45:27 on Thu, 28 Feb 2013, mike remarked:

Goodness Gracious.

Reply to
Roland Perry

Sounds like a little fiddlin' went on there.

Reply to
nobody

I think toast just came out of my nose.

Reply to
Jules Richardson

This is Leeds isn't it? If you have the planning reference we could all have a look online.

Reply to
Andrew May

I wonder if the original plans had a little boys' room.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon