Delaminating saucepan

Hi, I've had this set of stainless steel Prestige saucepans for about

18 years.

Recently a couple of the pans overheated on the hob and the outer 1 or

2mm layer of copper on their bases warped away from a thicker base layer of aluminium. The thin discs of copper are now half on and half off.

I'm guessing that the best approach for repair purposes would be to re-overheat the pans and attempt to remove the copper completely and clean both faces. Then perhaps reheat, re solder and clamp the copper sheet firmly to the bottom of each pan before it cools.

Will the solder used be an unusual type where the joining of copper and aluminium is concerned?

Any tips on other aspects of this repair job?

Reply to
Geoff Mills

about

copper

snipped-for-privacy@netfront.net ---

Not what you want to hear probably, but realistically it's probably better to reckon 18 years is a good run, and replace them - they will have been bonded / soldered / aluminium brazed using a large press with several tons force to form them together when originally made.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

You're probably right there. Cooking is a major social activity here and it's easy to become very attached to some of the tools over time.

Reply to
Geoff Mills

In the spirit of DIY though, it'd be interesting to know how it goes if you try... :-)

Oh, when we first moved into our current place, we needed another set of pans and all the money was going on tools, materials, furniture etc. so we just bought a cheap set for $50 (about 30 quid) expecting them to do us for three or four months and then we'd spend a sensible amount on something good.

Two years later, they're all still going strong with no wear problems, and they're reasonably heavy pans with good heat transfer. Whether they'll do

18 years (or whether I even want them to!) I don't know - but it's one of the very few times I've knowingly bought something cheap and cheerful and it's far exceeded expectations; I really don't know how anyone can even make and ship a set of pans for that kind of price!

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

Had something similar with a cheaper and shorter lived pan.

As far as I can work out a small amount of water had managed to get between the pan and base, then expanded as steam and blown the base off.

As already suggested, be grateful that they lasted 18 years.

You could always be very cheeky and complain to Prestige that they only lasted 18 years (although there is a suggestion that user error caused oveheating and damage).

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Web search for "mokume". Fiendishly difficult.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Ours had a lifetime warranty. Replaced without question. Several years ago though. The replacements now have slightly buckled bases, but are still functioning.

Reply to
<me9

I've been truly inspired by the articles I've read on Mokume. So, I'm going to contact Prestige and ask if they can replace or repair the pans.

Reply to
Geoff Mills