Dehumidifiers, are they all peltier?

I am guessing that there are dehumidifiers with compressors in them?

We want a new one and I am looking for something a liitle less power hungry, any recommendations?

Ta, Rick

Reply to
R D S

Ebac looks like a good place to start?

Reply to
R D S

I was about to say our ebac has a compressor. Flat out its max load can approach 400W though IIRC.

Reply to
John Rumm

Sainsbury had a small compressor one in a few months ago for about £70. I don't recall the brand.

Reply to
dennis

Mine's a compressor type, from B&Q, about £80 a couple of years ago. If sine like since.

Reply to
John Stumbles

Regular compressor types are around 200w for the cheaper ones, but they only run part of the time.

NT

Reply to
NT

If

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Wassat mean then ?

Plenty here:

got a PD20DEN from them a while ago (for use in a drying cupboard). They shipped it quickly and the unit is pretty good! It takes 410W at full output, but they cycle on and off depending on the humidity so it isn't a constant load.

Reply to
mick

I've never seen a peliter dehumidifier. Peltier heat pumps are much less efficient than compressors, although they are normally used in lower heat pump capacity applications where compressors are not viable.

Compressor models mostly seem to be 400W, but depending on your application, you will probably want a humidistat to control the humidity, either built-in to the dehumidifier, or separately.

There's also a dehumidifier type which uses a dessicant disc, but I've no experience of those.

What's the application? There are some potential problems with running these in a house, due to the large humidity differential they create.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Try this wonderfull thing called Google....

mate actually uses one of these installed on his landing and it has stopped his winter window condensation problems. Moved to one of these as it is virtually silent compared to his previous compressor based dehumidifier that kept everyone awake at night. Has got the water tank plumbed in via a syphon to empty automatically.

Reply to
ian_m

I take it that is a compressor type as there is mention of refrigerant rather than one of their dessicant rotor types.

I'm not bothered about noise, I quite like ambient noise as it blots out the neighbours. What is it like on filters?

Reply to
R D S

I might start using Google more if they allow filtering out of all the price comparison sites.

I'm struggling to find power usage figures for most of their stuff.

Reply to
R D S

Yep, it's a compressor type. Not too noisy really - but we have a fair bit of space between it and the living room! It has a removable grill with a (quite coarse) washable nylon filter. Behind that is a HEPA filter (supplied). You can get spares or, alternatively, a carbon filter instead. I've not needed to touch any of them in over a year.

There is a place where you can attach a 12mm drainage hose for continuous drain instead of using the bucket.

Reply to
mick

David

Reply to
R D S

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) saying something like:

The smallest size ones often are - I've got a 600ml/day unit that runs off 12V, utilising a Peltier and comp fan. 18quid from Aldi, but the fan was rubbish, so it now sports a Dorothy Bradbury special. It's very useful for keeping stored car interiors dry.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

They drive me bloody mad! If you do follow the link inviarably what you want isn't there anyway. Grrrr.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

There are some utilities available that will store copied phrases and there's also SuperKeys (which I use - but it can be flagged as malware).

To solve the problem of the comparison sites, I just click in the 'exclude' field, hit # then - and SK drops in:

ebay "compare prices" compare amazon bizrate kelkoo dooyoo pricerunner shopzilla nextag shoppingcentre freebytes medusa teloos "192.com" "shop.com" betterdeals "ec21.com" "price comparison" pricemate "ciao.com" kellysearch fastfinders

every so often I add a few more. As you say, it's often not what you want, or the prices are high (to pay the comparison site) or, most annoyingly, it says "sorry, we couldn't find (your item)".

When I get a tuit I'll mod. my Yahoo and Google wibbles (all the prefs. without cookies) to include a load of exclusions and put 'en up here.

Reply to
PeterC

Exclude field? Can't find that. There is a "But don't show pages that have... any of these unwanted words:" field but that isn't quite the same. I want to remove certain domains from the results not pages that simply contain certain words.

I have found you can turn the pesky "Query Suggestions" off though. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice