dehumidifier fan has "stalled"...

Small dehumidifier (ebac) has been in regular use for ages (during day ). S witched it on as normal but there is a "stalled fan hum" (& no fan noise/ai rflow). The compressor starts up & I can hear it making coolant noises like a fridge so assume that side I'd ok.

Whats best plan of attack please?

Ta Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Well what sort of fan it is needs to be known one assumes. It might just be clogged with dust and gunge of course. If its mains and it has a capacitor, then this might be the culprit, escpecially if you can induce it to spin either way by poking it. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Switched it on as normal but there is a "stalled fan hum" (& no fan noise/ airflow). The compressor starts up & I can hear it making coolant noises li ke a fridge so assume that side I'd ok.

Is the fan seized or stiff, or turning freely? Is the winding conducting ok or not? We're not mind readers.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

snipped-for-privacy@care2.com

-show quotedtext -Is the fan seized or stiff, or turning freely? Is the winding conducting ok or not? We're not mind readers.

Spose I'll have to open er up then....

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Earlier this year, I had remco.co.uk make me up a new shaded pole motor to my specification (dual speed in my case). They have many off-the-shelf sizes too. No connection (was recommended to me by someone else here).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

inding conducting ok or not? We're not mind readers.

right then, acquired sufficient tuits and opened her up.

Fan moved OK dunno if too stiff as presume I was moving motor as well...

Plugged in and fan didn't start up. Gave fan blades a push & poke & it started slowly & a bit erratically (like gently gathering speed then faltering a bit then regaining speed).

Eventually after a few mins sounds "normal".

I have changed fan speed (2 speeds) OK, and adjusted humidistat control to make it "kick in" & "out" (on this one when chosen humidity target is reach ed the fan AND compressor both knock off, then automagically they come back on as humidity increases again).

Anyone care to diagnose what it was/is and how to diagnose/fix definitively ?

It's in front of me now working away....

TIA

Cheers Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

right then, acquired sufficient tuits and opened her up.

Fan moved OK dunno if too stiff as presume I was moving motor as well...

Plugged in and fan didn't start up. Gave fan blades a push & poke & it started slowly & a bit erratically (like gently gathering speed then faltering a bit then regaining speed).

Eventually after a few mins sounds "normal".

I have changed fan speed (2 speeds) OK, and adjusted humidistat control to make it "kick in" & "out" (on this one when chosen humidity target is reached the fan AND compressor both knock off, then automagically they come back on as humidity increases again).

Anyone care to diagnose what it was/is and how to diagnose/fix definitively?

It's in front of me now working away....

Check if it seems freer than before. If it's just the fan, should spin freely. If it starts OK when you switch off, let stop and switch on again, likely wants a drop of lubrication on the motor bearings. (Induction motors have very poor starting torque.)

If it has to be twirled to start it and it spins freely when twirled, likely a fault in the motor start winding circuit. Might possibly be something to do with the 2speed technology, various sorts.

Reply to
harryagain

The fan won't start up again.

Seems the motor assembly & switch module/PCB are available c.£35 each... worth it?

What else could it be?

Anyone up for guiding my multimeter to isolate which component(s) actually responsible?

TIA Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Seems a lot for a little fan you could find in all sorts of scrap items

y responsible?

If you dont now how to use one, google

NT

Reply to
meow2222

NT belched:-

Er so you claim to know the details of the fan assembly? Amazing.... As found in all those "Scrap items" I don't have....

Funnily enough it crossed my mind that Shurely someone like you would be working on some "armchair expert" wiki entry on this very topic? To keep themselves mentally active over the winter months you know....

Have fun ;-)

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

never claimed that

freecycle, tips, roadside etc

I wrote one ages ago. Its very basic, and not armchair knowledge at all.

If you havent a clue about my life at least dont make foolish comments

Its the simplest of tasks to diagnose the problem, you've got the multimeter, stop being lazy and go do it, we cant possibly diagnose your fan failure remotely.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

never claimed that

freecycle, tips, roadside etc

I wrote one ages ago. Its very basic, and not armchair knowledge at all.

If you havent a clue about my life at least dont make foolish comments

Its the simplest of tasks to diagnose the problem, you've got the multimeter, stop being lazy and go do it, we cant possibly diagnose your fan failure remotely.

NT

End quote/

You really are a pompous arse aren't you?

You claim the required parts are commonly (& now from the road side!:-D) without any knowledge of what they were... Rather obviously stupid comments....

Your wiki "article" could have been written by a schoolie, it says nothing more than obvious armchair commonsense. It adds nothing to the situation apart from low level entertainment about it's author's mental state.

I know enough about you to not be surprised by any of this, I don't need to know any more about you thanks (for nothing).

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

youre a time waster

Small fan assemblies are fairly common items. I didnt claim to know all the details of them either.

a pretty childish conclusion

most diyers dont do divide & conquer with electrical problems.

I'm glad its been no help to you. Now if you know what youre doing why dont you stop wasting time & diagnose & fix it.

NT

Reply to
meow2222
& you call me a timewaster?