degreasing with vodka?

I use Dove soap which leaves a thin film of oil/moisturiser on my hands. Don't ask ;-)

I need to de-grease my finger tips. Don't ask ;-)

Meths works fine but it smells and is a slight contact poison.

Medical alcohol wipes are not available to the public, even at our local large chemist. Also I need to know that they do not contain oils.

Does anyone know vodka will work as a degreaser?

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

I'm surprised at that - I'm pretty sure that people who need to inject stuff (eg insulin dependent diabetics) have no trouble getting them. An alternative source may be a local needle exchange - just ask a neighbourhood junkie ;-)

A lot of smaller jets in the USA stock them in the lav instead of soap and water - I usually grab a handful. This is of no help to you, of course.

I'd be concerned that normal vodka may be too dilute, but I guess it depends on how degreased you want to be.

Reply to
Rob Hamadi

Buy isopropanol, or if you really mean no residues, arklone.

I doubt any vodka will be residue free. Are you sure about meths being a contact poison? It certainly is by ingestion or inhalation, I was unaware of skin absorbtion. Similarly surprised you can't get medical wipes, there's plenty on ebay:

dom

I Could not see why not but you could get a small amount in your blood stream through absorbtion could cause you to be over the limit if driving ?

Dave Fawthr> I use Dove soap which leaves a thin film of oil/moisturiser on my hands. > Don't ask ;-)

Reply to
squelchy

I'm asking!

Can you not use surgical gloves?

d.

Reply to
deano

|Dave Fawthrop wrote: |> Medical alcohol wipes are not available to the public, even at our local |> large chemist. Also I need to know that they do not contain oils. | |I'm surprised at that - I'm pretty sure that people who need to inject |stuff (eg insulin dependent diabetics) have no trouble getting them.

The ones which are commonly available are disinfecting, anti MRSA, non alcohol, wipes.

|An |alternative source may be a local needle exchange - just ask a |neighbourhood junkie ;-)

I may try that, with another hat on I am in contact with the local needle exchange.

|A lot of smaller jets in the USA stock them in the lav instead of soap |and water - I usually grab a handful. This is of no help to you, of |course. | |> Does anyone know vodka will work as a degreaser? | |I'd be concerned that normal vodka may be too dilute, but I guess it |depends on how degreased you want to be.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

|Buy isopropanol, or if you really mean no residues, arklone. | |I doubt any vodka will be residue free. Are you sure about meths being |a contact poison?

Yes it was banned in a factory where I was a Safety Rep, but that was for people who used it hourly, so I am only unhappy about using it for DIY purposes occasionally.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

|I Could not see why not but you could get a small amount in your blood |stream through absorbtion could cause you to be over the limit if |driving ? | | | |Dave Fawthrop wrote: |> I use Dove soap which leaves a thin film of oil/moisturiser on my hands. |> Don't ask ;-) |>

|> I need to de-grease my finger tips. Don't ask ;-) |>

|> Meths works fine but it smells and is a slight contact poison. |>

|> Medical alcohol wipes are not available to the public, even at our local |> large chemist. Also I need to know that they do not contain oils. |>

|> Does anyone know vodka will work as a degreaser?

No! not enough to put one over the limit.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

| |Dave Fawthrop wrote: | | |> I need to de-grease my finger tips. Don't ask ;-) | |I'm asking! | |Can you not use surgical gloves?

Electrical contact measurement.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Didn't have a problem getting a box of swabs when I first got diagnosed. IPA based IIRC.

Not that I ever use them - very quickly discovered there was little point.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

I've got you under my skin

I hear you should use swarfega...its stop you visiting a dermatologist. ;-)

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

The message from Dave Fawthrop contains these words:

Isopropanol's good. Surgical spirit is poor as it contains something greasy.

Reply to
Guy King

Is that why video engineers use it to clean video heads?

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Why don't you use a different soap? ..or is one not related to the other?

Reply to
adder1969

| |Dave Fawthrop wrote: |> I use Dove soap which leaves a thin film of oil/moisturiser on my hands. |> Don't ask ;-) |>

|> I need to de-grease my finger tips. Don't ask ;-) |>

| | |Why don't you use a different soap? ..or is one not related to the |other?

Dove gets rid of calluses which then fissure.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

It'll do that by leaving the thin film of oil/moisturiser on your hands which you then carefully remove! Why not use something else for the rare occasions when you need to degrease your fingers?

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

I wonder if he's been caught with a bottle of vodka at work and now he's like "er, yeah, it's for degreasing my fingers because, er, I use this really greasy soap, er, for, er, my calluses" ;-)

Reply to
adder1969

I would have thought IPA would do a decent job:

John Rumm

No matter how well you degrease your fingers, more grease will leak through your skin over time. Depending on how long you want to remain grease-free, give some thought to some (disposable) latex gloves.

That way you can also keep your hands nice 'n' soft with the Dove soap.

Pete

Reply to
Peter Lynch

No idea, what about hand sanitizing gel?

Data sheet:

Reply to
bweebar