Reply to
Steve Firth

Weird. That's not what mine does.

Reply to
Huge

Damn. You're right.

Reply to
Huge

I did wonder about a voice interface but I suspect we all know where that ends up.

(If you don't it's documented here:

.)

Reply to
Graham Nye

Jeez, this is probably the cruellest thread I've read on uk.misc. Gluten-free toast just isn't the same.

Reply to
Amethyst Deceiver

On Wed, 11 May 2011 20:31:48 +0100, Amethyst Deceiver wrote the following to uk.misc:

Have you tried the Warburtons stuff yet?

Marcus Houlden

I bet. The idea of gluten-free bread seems fairly cruel and unusual in itself. Does it have any texture at all ?

Reply to
Richard Robinson

brown. Scrip Glutafin is much better these days, and if one's going to pay, Genius is still the only game in town.

Reply to
Dave Budd

The better stuff does a passable imitation of not-very-good bread The best stuff (Genius) is quite good, but still not really actual bread.

Reply to
Dave Budd

Not seen that one, but the other recent fresh (rather than packaged) versions are pretty convincing. That said, the packaged stuff has its uses - because each roll etc is normally individually packed, it suits me living on my own quite well - a lot less waste than normal bread.

Neil

Reply to
Neil Williams

That's the one I was thinking of - *very* convincing!

Neil

Reply to
Neil Williams

Probably not that different in concept to the "lightscribe" cdrw drives, which burn the data onto one side, and a text/image "label" onto the other...

Reply to
funkyoldcortina

This is a problem I've investigated in the past as part of a larger project. There are two possible approaches. You can use a high-power laser to simultaneously cut the loaf and toast both sides of the cut. A

100W carbon-dioxide laser would be ideal. But that wouldn't be able to scribe data on to the surface.

The alternative is to separate the slicing and engraving processes. There is a choice here too. You could drop the sliced toast on to a conveyor and pass it under a scanning laser, again carbon dioxide is best, about 20W should do it. However again I have a preferred alternative. Slice the bread and drop the slice down a shaft where it can be processed as it goes past various processing stations.

The first would probably be the toaster/engraver. The precise text engraved on the toast might be either the specification for the toast e.g. colour (ranging from Caucasian through Arab and Zulu to Ibo) butter or low-fat spread, marmalade, Marmite or Vegemite. It be better to have the users store a preferred toast profile on the system in which case the toast simply needs to bear the name of the intended recipient.

The next processing station would apply butter or other spread. A xerographic technique seems simplest. Apply a static electrical charge to one side of the toast using a corona electrode. Pass the slice through a spray of oppositely charged butter droplets.

The same process can be used to apply Marmite or Vegemite if required. Marmalade or Jam do present a further problem though. Xerographic application of the base fruit coulis is easy but separate processes will need to be used for the application of raspberry pips or orange peel as appropriate.

Finally a corona electrode will apply a charge to one side of the toast so that an electrostatic deflector can flip it so that it arrives with the correct alignment.

Further research is needed on some adjunct processes. For instance how to slice and grill the bacon so that it arrives in the correct alignment on the butter-side up slice before deposition of the butter-side down slice to complete a bacon butty.

Reply to
Bernard Peek

Have I got this right? The sheddi way is to say H!TFD Yes?

Anyway, what I mean is Bravo!

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

Nugger :(

Wrong group.

Just Bravo! then

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

Ours doesn't make my bread go brown and crispy. At least, not unless I put it through two or three times (I am not exaggerating).

Admittedly, I make my own gluten-free bread and it is pretty dense (think Pumpernickel, but moister). Note: I am trying to lighten it up a little, but I don't want anything as fluffy as Genius.

Reply to
Martin Bonner

[Snip]

You are Wallace, and I claim my five pounds.

Love it :-)

Reply to
Martin Bonner

I had a Dualit on holiday a few years back, I was expecting it to make the bread uniformly brown and crisp, on both sides but it came out with the middle of one side brown and crisp, the top and bottom soft, and the other side is slightly warm. Decided they must be style over substance.

Reply to
bof

Consistent with using a slot that wasn't enabled with the 'number of slices' switch. I had some nice uniform tast from ours for lunch.

Reply to
Bob Eager

In message , Bob Eager writes

OK, ta, I'll bear it in mind should I come across one again.

Reply to
bof