Deep locks

I have 3 interior doors in which I need to cut locks. The locks are, however, max 5 1/2" deep, and I'm concerned that I won't be able to keep a ~15mm drill straight enough over this distance .
I asked a local recommended tool shop, but his answer was "I get asked this all the time. Dunno, mate".
I'm assuming some type of jig might be in order, but what should I be looking for?
Thanks for any advice.

Clamp the door with wide packing pieces either side. Then use an accessory drill stand (optionally screwed to the packing pieces) to ensure a true drill hole.
Alternatively hack it out with a chisel - you can even get corner chisels for cutting the corners square (seen on TV but not in shops).
HTH Dave R
P.S. a router with a 6" plunge and a very long bit might also do the trick - if you find such a long bit let me know because I've just gone the 'hack with a chisel' route :-(
On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 13:33:02 +0000, Richard

You need a router plus one of these:
http://tinyurl.com/zo2g
Whilst the router won't go down to the depth you require it will give you a decent starting point from which you can guide a drill bit down, and then chisel out.
Alternatively you can get router bit extensions. I suppose they might extend the length to cut a deeper hole - but I have to admit that I'm a bit nervous about using extended router bits.
PoP
On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 13:33:02 +0000, Richard

I have fitted loads of these and it is not as tricky as it would appear, the trick is is to use an Auger bit instead of a flat bit or a twist drill. The Auger bit won't be knocked off course if you hit a knot etc. Wedge your foot "end on" to the door to keep it nice and steady and use a slowish speed (you might need a mains drill for power). With an auger bit you can keep stopping and leave the drill and auger bit sticking out the door to check it is straight, if it's not just pull it out a little and straighten up.
good luck
cg
-- Can't think of good sig at present.....maybe later --

is for us pro's on a price. It will cut as square as you let it. Mark the height and press that mark against your body by holding your thumb there . You will now remember what height to keep the back of the drill at.
All you need to worry about is the sharp end after that.

Why do you need to use locks on internal doors anyway? Just replace them with mortice sashes. One three inch stab is all you need.

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 07:28:00 +0000, Michael McNeil wrote:

I'm going to go with this method first, as it seems to be the cheapest. Having said that, if my wife is reading this, Xmas is coming up and a router would be really useful ...
I'd like to keep the locks as they are original and I'm too sentimental.
Thanks for all the advice
Cheers Richard