DECT Phone (Gigaset)

I moved my Gigaset phone and found the builder had trapped the telephone lead from the socket to the base. Ah well - I had another on a different phone so I swopped it over. Now the phone doesn't work - it cannot get the dialing tone. The handset has been registered - it pagers. The handset can be registered to a different base (BT Graphite).

It seems to me that somehow the base isn't receiving or transmitting the signal through the telephone cable. (yet the BT one is fine and it was okay before I changed the lead)

Any suggestions. Can a base fail in such a manner?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

En el artículo , DerbyBorn escribió:

The line is presented on the wrong pins of the RJ11 connector (the small connector that plugs into the base unit) of the cord that connects to the phone socket.

Some cords present the line on the inner two pins of the 4, some on the outer two. Loss of dial tone is a typical symptom of using the wrong cable; try another one.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

As Mike said, not all linecords are the same. If you haven't got another one to try, I suggest you cut out the damaged part of the original cable and repair with twisted connections (solder if you can), and apply PVC tape to insulate the wires and relieve the joint of the strain.

Reply to
Graham.

You can get mirror image leads though. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

There used to be IDC repair and join kits to do this back in the dim past. Not sure if its still the case. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Graham. wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Thanks - didn't expect them to differ.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I have e-mailed the makers to see if they can send me one or specify what I need so I can buy one. The phone end of the lead is stuck in a wall so I cannot examin it. I believe Gigaset is made by GE so it may have some US conventions. (Now - why did I throw out my old phones and leads - one of them may have been ok)

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Gigaset are made by Siemens - I doubt that there's a GE relationship!

Reply to
Bill Taylor

Don't need to, just cut out the damaged bit and join the same colours together. Or is the damaged bit in the wall. Some great cow boys you have there...

Or perform surgery on the lead you have that isn't working. Simply swap the outer to the inner pair each side:

A --- --- 1 BT end B --- --- 2 Giagset end C --- --- 3 D --- --- 4

So instead of A1 B2 C3 D4, it goes A2 B1 C4 D3. You probably only need A2 D3 but doing the others doesn't hurt.

The recently bought Gigaset stuff I have has "Made in Germany" and was linked with Siemens, parent company?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@srv1.howhill.co.uk:

Many thanks for the info, The phone plug end has got stuck behind som studwork and been plastered over - I may have damaged it by trying to pull it. Thanks for pointing out the Siemens connection.

I hope they may send me a new lead - if not I will use my BT Graphite on the socket and the Gigaset as a remote - charging base only.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Gigaset are Siemens . As has been said there are two wiring conventions commonly used in BT to RJ11 leads. In both the outer two contacts in a 4 contact BT connector are wired to either the outer two in a 4 wire RJ11 or the inner two. The US phone wiring puts line one of a domestic installation on the inner pair so equipment intended for both Europe and the USA tends to use (but by no means always does) this convention.

You can often tell which your phone uses by looking at the RJ 11 plug, sometimes only two wires are connected. If you have any old modem or fax machine cables try those, modem manufacturers seemed to use every random combination they could think of so one may work.

Siemens, being Germanic, like Standards so also sometimes require the ringing signal on the third wire as required by the old BT phone wiring specification. For now I wouldn't bother with this - just sort out the two wires - when these are correct the phone will call and answer correctly when picked up but there is a small possibility it may not ring (and if it has an integrated answering machine that may not function)..

Reply to
Peter Parry

They might but if not CPC will have one or Maplin, for a few quid. CPC probably a quid, £4.99+ from Maplin. Is the "webfree" free delivery on web orders still running on CPC?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@srv1.howhill.co.uk:

Not against buying one - but how can I be sure it will be the right one? I looked at what was on E-Bay and there was nothing to differentiate them. Briefly looked on Maplin but didn't find them = will look again.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Look at what you have that doesn't work and get the other version. Might need to buzz out what you have to which pin is connected to which pin. Could have performed the surgery on the working one by now...

There might be a clue by looking into the "line" socket on the Gigaset it may only have two connection positions filled.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yes, it appears to be 'for ever' now.

Reply to
cl

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@srv1.howhill.co.uk:

....then I will be short of a lead for the Graphite if I need it. Not ungrateful - but the lead will be visible - not sure I can do invisible surgery.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

The RJ11 plug on the end of my Gigaset C300 only has contacts in the middle

2 positions. I'd expect all the Gigaset models to use the same standard.
Reply to
Mike Clarke

Mike Clarke wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@milibyte.co.uk:

My BT Graphite uses the outer two (at least that is how it appears)

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Mike Clarke wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@milibyte.co.uk:

I have looked at mine and agree - it is the other end which is buried in the wall!

Daft that there isn't a convention. You can register different handsets yet the makers haven't agreed a pin convention. strange.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I have just found a suitable lead amongst my old modem bits and bobs. However, many thanks for helping me to rationalise the problem.

Reply to
DerbyBorn