Decorating ideas

My lounge is currenly wallpapered with a fairly plain paper - a subtle mottled effect. It needs redocorating as the joints are starting to show.

I would prefer to paint - but would not want the walls to be totally uniform. I had seen techniques such as rag rolling to give amottled effect but I wouldn;t trust myself to make it random and even.

Would a professional decorator typically have the skills to do any advanced techniques?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

A /professional/ decorator will do marbling, graining, rag rolling, stippling, stencilling, passable imitation of the Sistene Chapel ...

A painting contractor might do you a scumble glaze and wipe if you're lucky.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

The trouble with a lot of these types of paint finishes is that they add a slight thickness of paint and if at some point in the future you want to go back to a plain paint finish you will still be able to see the mottling et c. so it is something you have to be sure you are happy to live with for a long time.

I seem to remember one of these make-over programmes decorating a room and painting some worthy proverb on a wall which the owner detested and it took countless re-paints before all traces were obliterated.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Despite various past failed attempts to glue edges back down I persist in thinking it must be possible somehow to do it.

Some yes, some no. Some can't even manage basic painting. TBH you've little to lose by diying. Try a patch and see if you succeed. If not, repaint.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

It is getting it consistantly random that would bother me. Corners and window reveals need a bit of experience.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Get a three year old in....

Expressionist abstract. Do a Jackson Pollock, you know it makes sense. You may want to remove the carpet first ;-)

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

That was something I had to tackle, mainly because a pro told me it could not be done. Nah mate, strip it all off and start again.

Anyway, I did, and it worked. The secret was to get the edges really wet and pliable with glue, then attach and rub with an old tea towel, then keep rubbing and pressing until the edges really stuck. The joint was not perfect because the paper must have shrunk slightly, so I filled the gap with caulk. After a couple of coats of paint, you would not notice without looking very carefully.

Same problem in another room with a dormer window. The valley failed and paper on the sloping wall and ceiling came away in large areas. Same as above, and the result was better than I'd dared to hope.

Reply to
News

I want to do my hall end wall "Mondian" but SWMBO won't let me :(

Reply to
Tim Watts

I assume you mean "Mondrian"?

Reply to
Huge

fait accompli.... :) Doesn't it look wonderful darling!

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

You mean "Mondrian" and you've got lots of half-used tester pots to use up?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

nahhh... in the style of Monday :)