Decorating Cost

Hi

I need a room painting. It's for an aunt, so i don't want her to get ripped off. What is a reasonable cost for a painter & decorator to charge.

Room is 5m x 4m I need white ceilings and magnolia walls, 1 coat only and 1 coat of gloss on woodwork, paint supplied by the decorator.

Many thanks. Andy

Reply to
Slick the Original

Sounds like the correct way to get ripped off, stipulating how the required finish should be achieved. That's for the decorator to advise on after inspection.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Too many variables to quote for without seeing job. However typically I would look at three/four days work (7 hrs/day on site) assuming that it is in pretty good order to start with.

It will need:

  1. Wash down walls, ceiling and woodwork with sugar soap, and rinse.

  1. Sand, fill and sand any blemishes in walls and wood.

  2. Minimum of two coats of emulsion ceilings and walls.

  1. Prime where necessary then undercoat wood (16 hours drying time) and then gloss.

Bear in mind that painting doors, door and window frames can be very time consuming if there are lots of detailed mouldings and are done properly, and there is drying time between coats.

Labour about £130 - 150 per day, materials emulsion £40, paint £20, disposables £20.

Best bet is to get a recommendation and several quotes and get them to explain exactly what they are going to do.

A relative of mine had four rooms 'decorated' for £400 - i.e. one coat of white emulsion on ceilings and walls - no wash down and no woodwork painted! She got what she paid for.

All my work comes from recommendation - I have never needed to advertise.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

90% of the cost is labour, and 90% of the labour is preparation and cutting in.

So the size of the room is almost irrelevant.

The dominant factors are the quality of finish and the quantity of fiddly bits.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'm sure my Aunt has plenty of fiddly bits... If I told her £250 as a guide???

cheers Andy

Reply to
Slick the Original

Why, has her picture rail slipped down to her dado?

Why don't you do it yourself for the cost of materials and a nice home-cooked steak dinner?

Owain

(who only ever had 'honorary' aunts)

Reply to
Owain

Scared of the cooking....plus 250 miles distance...

Reply to
Slick the Original