Decking Supplier Recommendation

I did my deck last year, I needed roughly 27m2 so popped into my local builders merchant (Covers) and asked for their best price. They had a few sizes, both soft & hardwood and had long lengths in stock (5.4m) which suited me as it cut down on joints, I also collected it myself which meant that I could pick & choose the straight lengths, if I were having it delivered, I would still insist on sorting out my own stuff and get them to deliver it. I ended up with list price less about 30% which I thought was very good as their list price was already lower than B&Q & Wickes. I realise that Covers are a bit out of your area but why not try popping into your local merchant and see what they can do. Franko.

Reply to
Franko

I think you are definitely right. I'll go for a drive around in the morning!

Cheers,

Steve

Reply to
Steve Lupton

It might be somewhat beyond 'local' but I can highly recommend Bendrey Brothers in Warmley, Bristol (a few miles from J18 M4). I bought my decking, and indeed a whole load of other timber besides, from there and find them very helpful and, importantly in my book, more than willing to deal with me as a DIYer.

They've got a website for what it's worth -

Mathew Newton

Rubbish! Its more popular than ever IME.

I've built 4 decks in the last 6 weeks - which explains why I'm so bloody knackered.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

To join the frame timbers I use these

mutts nuts. Impact driver will put one in in around 4 seconds, no pilot hole. Incredibly strong joint.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The Wickes boards are single sided with square grooves machined into the face - the grooves fill with dirt. Timber merchants are much cheaper. I could sell you decking boards at less than Wickes prices & make a handsome margin.

Data sheet is OK as far as it goes, but misses some vital points.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

There are no real alternatives to decking in many circumstances, it copes with differing levels so easily, covers up a multitude of sins & is environmentally friendly.

Its also cost effective.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Thanks.

Any views on the DeWalt 18V impact driver? All the rest of my tools are DeWalt, and I already have three batteries and the 10 minute fast charger.

It would therefore seem logical to buy the DeWalt driver - a few places on fleabay selling them for about £90.

Cheers,

Steve

Reply to
Steve Lupton

>>> The mutts nuts. Impact driver will put one in in around 4 seconds,

I've got a 12v Makita which does the job, but it makes sense to go with stuff you have batteries for. I tend to favour Makita cos I have batteries & chargers.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman