decking stain/paint for longevity??

What's best to retreat outdoor decks these days?

Cheaper acrylic? stains/sealers seem to last one or two seasons ten start flaking/peeling off, and the whole procedure then has to be done again :-(

I'm after a dark finish to obliterate the few well adhered bits of old stuff - if that makes a difference

Any good/bad experiences and product +s (or -s) welcome

TIA

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

Bare boards last longer (and look less like Legoland)

Reply to
stuart noble

/Bare boards last longer (and look less like Legoland) /q

These aren't bare?

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

Tastes vary but I think my deck looks good as it is, having never been stained or sealed in its 15 years.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

As does the decking in most public spaces, alongside lakes etc. Blends into the landscape nicely IMO

Reply to
stuart noble

/decking stain/paint for longevity??/q

For longevity I meant of the stain/paint rather than the actual timber....

Helpful pointers about not staining/painting, leaving au natrel are not really applicable on this task...

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

Decking Oil. Don't use anything water based.

Decking Oil is the easiest to re apply.

You can get tinted decking oil.

Reply to
David Lang

Same sort of thing but I am in the market for something to apply to a garden shed (previously done with light brown solvent based stain) which is now a bit faded and not as weatherproof as it needs to be.

And more problematic the four VH picnic benches which were ill advisedly painted with one of those eco friendly brown paint wood "treatments" that claim to protect wood but in practice flake off every winter and curl back trapping water against the exposed wood surfaces.

Any suggestions for the least bad options for either of these? Brush or sprayable would be fine (it is quite a large shed 25'x12')

Reply to
Martin Brown

rather than the paint type stuff, which does flake off, you need something thinner that soak sinto the wood.

We used some Cuprinal stuff in our last house on the shed and fence.

Don't think they sell the same stuff anymore - probably fell foul of the rules of VOC's but the Shed and fence protector or ultimate garden wood preserver seem to be nearest.

Reply to
Chris French

That is the problem.

All the ones which work have been withdrawn and replaced with eco friendly things requiring annual maintenance instead of once every five years :( I guess it provides more profits to the manufacturers.

Reply to
Martin Brown

In article , JimK writes

Have you looked at Bird Brand products?

-I've used this:

on a shed and so far (18 months) it seems to do a good job.

Reply to
Chris Holford

This might be the interesting page

Cuprinol used to have acypetac-zinc and the green was Copper...

It hasn't any more.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris