Decking Q

SWMBO wants a 2 tier deck & pergola.

What is considered best size for decking ...

Wickes are doing good deal of 25% off 140 x 28

Local Jewson does 150 x 32 or 125 x 38

Need to get 255m of the stuff, so want o get choice right

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Be careful; you need planning permission if the decking is more than

30cm above the ground.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

The wider the boards the fewer you need, the fewer you have to cut & screw down. Go as wide as possible.

Wickes boards are not much good. The square grooves are meant to be anti cupping kerfs - but most people lay that face up. They fill with muck.

Have a look here

is a proper deck board and is laid with the profile up, grooves down. Not suggesting you buy from them, just showing you what to look for.

If you post the size's of the deck I'll run them through my spreadsheet & give you accurate quantities.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

You do indeed - and you can't deck more than 50% of the garden.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Why ? ... planning not normally needed for a non-permanent structure at least 5m from the house.

I built an 18m x 8m boat shed ... no planning needed .. non-habitable. (this did need buildings regs though)

Reply to
Rick Hughes

no problem there have 1/2 acre garden so well under

Reply to
Rick Hughes

I found these guidelines on Planning for decking ... it advises planning is needed when:

Where the deck is situated within 20 metres of a highway. Where the deck platform is more than 300mm (1 ft) from the ground (effective 1 October 2008). If the structure would affect the amenity value or privacy of neighbouring properties. If the deck is attached to a listed building or situated in a conservation area or National Park.

I don't fall foul of any of these ... so I'll not bother with planning

Reply to
Rick Hughes

That is known as deemed approval and decking more than 30cm from the ground is one of the things that is specifically excluded from deemed approval.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I went and looked at Jewson .. they had some 'very rough' 32 x 150 but were not quoting finished size .. which was 29 x 143

They also had 38 x 125 (finished as 32 x 115)

In the end I bought at Wickes even with my trade account at Jewson Wickes came in way more than £110 cheaper.

Now just have to find a way to pick it up to save £30 delivery charge :-) .... mainly 4.8m lengths so trailer is not an option.

Reply to
Rick Hughes