Decking & Planning Permission

Just looking at the Timber Decking Association website

It mentions that wooden decks don't need planning permission except "Where the deck is situated within 20 metres of a highway".

(there are some other 'excepts')

If that is the case then surely nearly all decks need permission?

My 3 bed semi for example.

2m pavement, 4m front garden, 4m lounge, 3.5m dining room, 3m conservatory - deck. That's 16.5 metres.

Or is this down to some definition of 'highway'? According to Wikipedia "the term highway covers everything from a footpath (for foot passage only), to a bridleway (for foot, bicycle and equestrian use), to a byway open for all traffic (for all the aforementioned users, plus any motorised user), to unclassified county roads, classified roads, trunk roads, motorways and special roads".

So do all decks need planning permission?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

This might apply if you wanted it in your front garden, there's a house between highway and decking in most instances. Even if you wanted it in your front garden, there would be little anyone could do to get it removed.

Reply to
Phil L

Just a thought but why not ask the "Timber Decking Association"? SURELY they would know!!! You, as a paid handyman seem to ask a lot of questions I feel you should know the answers to!

Cheers

John

Reply to
John

I have. Just thought I'd bring the matter up here for discussion as it might help people planning to build decks.

Simply that I'm not arrogant enough to think I know everthing and have a desire to learn..

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Whether one in the front grden would be forcibly removed I don't know (it would need someone to complain first anyway), but I believe the 20 metres would only apply if the deck and highway were in sight of each other as Phil implies. The same applies to extensions within permitted development - if a new window looks out over a "highway", planning permission is needed. I had this question over a loft conversion - the public footpath through the cemetery it overlooked *would* have counted as a highway except the cemetery gates were locked at night so it didn't and I therefore didn't need planning permission!

Reply to
Bob Mannix

TDA replied to my e-mail, its a deck 'visible' from a highway within 20 metres.

Phew !

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

just pay attention to the "amenity value or privacy of neighbouring properties" part, if the height causes the neighbours to complain about overlooking or similar then planning will take interest.

Steve

Reply to
Steve