Decking: horizontal or diagonal

I know that decking is square but -

I can't find any websites which give details about laying diagonal decking. Does the end of each board have to lie on a joist? If so this seems like a bit of a palaver - if not I don't see how it is strong enough.

I'm confused because I've read some (archived) posts here about diagonal decking meaning less wastage, which doesn't make sense to me unless the ends of each board don't have to lie on a joist.

ROSIE

Reply to
Rosie

Start by putting your joists diagonally, opposite direction to the deck ;-) then just overhang the boards and trim with a circular saw. Sounds easy... takes time though!

HTH

Reply to
TonyK

My diagonal decking lies on a joist each end. Note this was fitted by a decking expert and not me (otherwise it would have never got done!).

Andrew.

Reply to
Andrew Simpson