Decking - handrails

I posted a long while back about building a deck in the back garden. Since then, I've had a new baby and its time to put up the handrails.

I'm aiming to use a top rail, spindles and a base rail, with the base suspended about 2inch so that we can brush off the deck onto the beds around.

To attach the handrails to the corner posts I'm using pocket holes to screw through (as suggested by TMH), and I was planning to use the same for the baserail. However, tried this at the weekend and as the baserail is relatively thin) certainly when compared to the handrail) I think that will need some small additional support such as those square blocks that often hold drawers together.

My main concern is the spindles though. I had originally screwed the spindles to the baserail, and then put the handrail on top. However, when I put this in between the posts it all sagged, so I'm back to square one.

My next plan is to put an M8 dowel in the top of each spindle, and locate this into corresponding holes in the handrail and use a suitable exterior woodglue to bond together. I'll then pop on the baserail, screw that in from the base and everything should be much more secure.

Any reasons to think I'm doing anything particularly "wrong" - alternatives gratefully received!

Thanks!

Matt

Reply to
matthew.larkin

Wooden blocks will probably look better.

Sounds like the baserail isn't up to the job? Could you stiffen it up by using a 19 x 38 treated roofing batten on edge underneath? Glued & screwed.

That would also work, lot more time to do the job though.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

True, but no-one is paying me by the hour!

The supporting batten is a good idea - and agree about the wood blocks. The only reason I'm thinking of brown plastic ones is that they will be small and strong, whereas a piece of wood of the same size would be quite weak. I suppose I could make something "decorative" that is of a more substantial piece of wood though.

Cheers!

Matt

Reply to
matthew.larkin