Decking - finished

Asked several Q's in past few weeks ranging from max span of joist to what screws for deck boards.

Job finally finished ... roof on, only remaining task is to oil it (Liberon clear) ...next week weather permitting.

Few pics for anyone thinking of decking project

Now starting on a Pergola project that will give a 10m x 3m walkway up to deck. (never ends)

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Very nice job, well done. And just in time for the heatwave!

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

Decking finished before heatwave ... :-)

Only roof tiling had to be done over past 2 weekends.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Very nice, good for rats to breed underneath too. ;-)

What's the general opinion on which way up decking boards are supposed to be laid? I thought one school of thought was that the machined grooves are supposed to go on the underside?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

That is indeed one school of thought; the other one, which is shared by the Timber Decking Association, is that it doesn't matter either way:

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Oops.. there is of course a 3rd school of thought of grooves always on top. I'm with the TDA on this one in that it's down to personal preference, and in that sense I prefer smooth being visible (matron).

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Very nice!

May I ask where you sourced the timber and decking? It all looks very good quality. Whenever I buy timber (from sheds or allegedly good timber merchants) much of it is twisted/warped/split.

Reply to
Andy

Mine were doubled sides, so the deep U section grooves are underneath. You are right that is best place for them.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

My reason for laying with deep grooves down, was 3 fold .... stop water lying in the grooves - which become algae & gunge. Reduce the grit & dust traps. Having the deeper grooves act as anti-cupping grooves.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

All decking boards came from Wickes ....they had 140 x 28 tick double sided boards. I also had a 40% offer card (which swayed choice) ... made it cheaper than my account rate at Jewson.

The frame, 4x4 uprights and all roof timbers came from a local company "Plywood & Timber Centre"

Very highly recommended if you are in West Glamorgan area.

Being small very were better prices than anywhere else.

Superb to deal with, deliver same day if you want (and free delivery), they even donated a number of thin ply sheets ( 8 x 4) to temporary cover decking while roofing being done. These were dead posh being veneer sheets .... American Walnut & oak ..... they has a number of damaged sheets they were happy to give away.

Reply to
Rick Hughes