Decked Out

Just been watching the first episode of the US TV show about decking.

Nothing I couldn't build, if I could only find the punters with the £20K budgets :-)

They replaced a fence. 6" x 6" posts, into holes 4' deep!

I don't think that will fall down for a while!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Decking's awfully awful, reminiscent of Vesta Paella, Black Forest Gateau and Mateus Rosé. Don't forget to make a table lamp with the empty bottle...

Reply to
Frank Erskine

That was my favourite :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

Great on a summer's day but a grey, slimy mess the other 360 days. It also elevates its owners by a foot in height, usually without any consideration for neighbours. On balance I think it will go down in history with woodchip and Artex, but it's still a cheap solution compared to digging out old concrete etc.

Reply to
stuart noble

Decking looks great when sprayed with WD40....

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

We won't be having decking. We will be having a wooden verandah floor with a void under to allow air to the ventilation bricks for the under-floor void. Nicely flush with the internal floor levels. We may, of course, be using readily available materials which are sometimes used to construct decking........

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Nah, Beef Curry (two).

Reply to
Bob Eager

Whatever happened to Sauterne and Beaujolais nouveau?

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Blue Nun.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Vesta did wine?

(Seriously, they're both still available, just not fashionable any more.)

Reply to
Huge

I found the curries tended to be a bit gooey - but perfectly edible (ate loads of Vestas on caravanning hols as a kid - fridges in caravans were not so common then).

I still like the "Beef" Risotto.

Didn't they do a Chicken Supreme once?

Reply to
Tim Watts

So are Vesta paella and beef curry.

Reply to
John Williamson

I thought about it for our place (northern US) but the limited lifespan has pretty much put me off; it seems like a lot of money to put into something that just lasts a few decades. Stone and wrought iron fencing is the current thinking, when I get the tuits together...

The materials are cheap here because most structures are built using wood; I think it would probably be about $20 (12 quid) for a 12' 6x6" PT post from a lumber yard. May as well build it strong...

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Probably even better when sprayed with petrol and a match applied...

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Oh that brings back memories, 'twas good.

Plus soda stream = "champagne"

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Horses for courses. Beside a lake near Salzburg, it looks stunning. At the back of a terraced house in an urban area, not quite the same.

Reply to
stuart noble

Does Blue Nun taste that bad?

Reply to
dennis

How is your cheap white wine collection?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I was probably thinking of Spanish Sauterne. Also reminiscent of Berni inns steakhouses and their schooners of sherry!

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb