Deck Board Theory

This of course from a *totally* unbiased observer :-)

That's not what worries me. It's the father with a van full of power tools and experience in cutting people in half (and then making the bits disappear) that worries me :-)

Reply to
Martin Bonner

/pedant mode on

It's blondes actually. The word is unique in the English language (I believe) in being the only one in the language to take a gender ending (blond for a male, blonde for a female)

I'll get me coat....... /pedant mode off

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Like the old blue grooved engineering bricks that were laid as a non slip floor. Don

Reply to
Donwill

brunette/brunet ?

Reply to
Rod

I stand corrected Bob. I am a wiser man. An interesting fact that. Don't get me started on 'manageress'.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Stiffness is a function of depth cubed, so changing it is significant.

The real problem of cross or diagonal grooving is that it would expose a lot of end grain.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

So why do fast cars have fat tyres, and in fact, racing cars have slicks?

The Natural Philosopher wrote: > Why do cars not have slick tyres except on dry rcaing tracks?

And on that one - because on a wet surface, you need to get rid of the water before the tyre can touch the surface. Much easier to move it 1cm to the nearest groove, than 10cm to the edge of the tyre.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Because under _those_ conditions, friction is somewhat proportional to area (not inversely). However we're talking about wet wood here, not dry rubber.

Really friction just doesn't have any simple relationship to anything. Either do it empirically by measuring, or else just a much more sophisticated model.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Not a lot to do with friction as such.. the tyres leave bits of themselves all over the track.. so its not friction. You have less rubber so more wear and less stiffness so less control if you cut blocks in the rubber like a rain tyre.

Friction is easy and has a known relationship. Tyres are stiction.

Reply to
dennis

What a great word! Stiction! Interesting article here

The Medway Handyman