Decent charger for D cell rechargeable batts

Anyone know where I can get a decent smart charger that will handle high capacity NiMh D cells? Loads of places do them for AAs etc, but most of the ones that can take larger sizes seem to be the bargain basement half wave rectified dumb charger type.

Reply to
John Rumm

Lidl.

=A312.70 does AAA to D and PP3. 6 bays for AAA & AA, 4 bays for C & D,

2 holes for PP3's.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

John Rumm wibbled on Thursday 12 November 2009 16:06

I've got one very similar to this (an earlier model):

OK and charges most things, including upto 4 D cells.

Reply to
Tim W

Aldi's =A313 smart one

Reply to
Andy Dingley

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D\

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0|

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D/

Was just going to suggest a look at Ansmann

but it looks like Tim has beaten me to it! I don't have any personal experience of their chargers but at least on paper they look to be very good.

HTH

Simon

Reply to
Simon

What brand of HiMH D cells are you using? And what capacity are they?

I have a need for some, and I initially looked at the Energiser ones, which turn out to be a total scam. They are 'A' 2500 mAH or thereabout cells wrapped in a plastic shell and sold for £££!!

Reply to
Ron Lowe

Seconded. Excellent charger at an excellent price.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not decided yet...

Looking at 10Ah.

I have some Vapex branded 2900mAh AA's that I got from an eBay seller a while back that have been very good... Still I remember years ago have some ever ready 1200mAh D cells that were really feeble!

Reply to
John Rumm

When I looked for C and D size NiMH rechargeables, nearly all were shrouded AAs - I think I found one non-UK supplier for D-cells, at very high prices. As the application I needed D-cells for didn't actually need high capacity, I bought some AA cells and plastic shells from

They don't always have them...I just looked - they actually have them as well as C- and D-cells. The C- and D-cells are only 3000 mAh capacity, but their best AAs (of which I have many) are 2800 mAh.

I've just put NiMH D-cell mAh into Google, and see there's a few suppliers of 9000 and 10000 mAh D-cell NiMH rechargeables.

've never used either.

Sid

Reply to
Sidney Endon-Lee

Weird, I was just looking on onecall for ansmann chargers. Anyone used buyabattery.co.uk? They seem to be very competitive on prices...

Tempted...although *ouch* at the price of high capacity D cells!

I assume lidl aren't doing theirs at the moment?

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

On an aside, I got all excited about NiMH a few years back and ran stuff in earnest off them.

The problem I found was the 1.2V vs 1.5V nominal voltage. Too much stuff I own is fussy and as soon as the cells lost a bit of charge, or worst, later, became tired, I just couldn't run stuff for any length of time.

My 4cell maglight: did try relamping it, but it was difficult to find a bulb at the right voltage and wattage. Nearest acceptable bulb was overrun slightly and thus died every 2 weeks or so. The default lamp was unacceptable at 4x1.2V

Computer widgets like cordless keyboards and mice: hopeless. Brand new cells weren't too bad, but after a few months, the cells needed recharging every week.

The only use I found them suited to were kids toys with motors.

I rather gave up after that. Wish they could invent a cell with at least

1.4V nominal...
Reply to
Tim W

I have one of those plug in chargers where the cells go in it just beside the computer. And a spare set of batteries. But even the el cheapo Lidl ones last a month or more.

All that's needed is to design the electronics for the lower voltage.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You can get rechargeable alkaline batteries, with a terminal voltage of

1.5v. Unfortunately they are quite expensive, need their own special type of charger and have a shorter life than other rechargeables. Also, you need to recharge them frequently - not because they are "flat" but because they lose "end of charge" terminal voltage if they are allowed to discharge below 1.42v. All a bit silly really... :-)
Reply to
mick

I saw some NiMH D-cells in Lidl last week. From memory, 9,000 mAh, £2.99 for a twin pack [£3.99?]. I've no use for them, but was v tempted to buy anyway at such a bargain price for the spec.

Reply to
Simon C.