debris in hw/cw system

I had a new water tank installed in the loft a few months ago and started to notice CW taps in the bathroom dripping and the toilet cistern slow to fill. It was caused by plastic swarf from the new tank. The plumber must have drilled out holes and not cleaned the tank out prior to filling it.

I have had to dismantle the CW taps and cistern quite a few times for cleaning but haven't had any noticeable problems with the HW side. I guess the CH is ok as its a closed system but was wondering where these shavings might accumalate in the HW side. Judging by the total amount I have removed from the CW, I'm concerned there's alot of this stuff accumalating somewhere in the HW side. Any idea where I might check to see where there's any build up?

Cheers.

Reply to
Dean

There won't be that much of it since there are normally no more than half a dozen holes.

On the HW side, any that has left the tank will almost certainly be in the bottom of the HW cylinder. It is inert and unlikely to go anywhere so I wouldn't bother about it.

I would just make a mental note that that plumber is a bit careless.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

What holes are these?

OK cheers - any advice that means I don't have to do anything sounds good ;-)

Quite an elusive chap. Never answers his phone anyway so would be hard to use him again. Guess that shows how much work there is for plumbers. I'm a complete plumbing noob but he seemed to make a nice job of it otherwise.

Reply to
Dean

The ones in the tank where the connectors to take the pipes are fitted. Normally a hole saw is used to cut a hole and then the fitting is inserted and held in place with a washer, possibly sealant and a nut.

There will be a minimum of three - for the ball valve, the overflow and the take off for the HW cylinder.

There may be additional ones for a vent for air and another to take the vent from the HW cylinder. Possibly there would be a second take off for cold for a shower.....

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Ah see what you mean - I was thinking about the HW tank.

Thanks for the help.

Reply to
Dean

If you ever have problems with the valve not sealing in the pipe feeding cold water to the HW tank, then you know what the reason might be. I once had a larger 'foreign body' (actually a young, very dead bat) fail to pass through that valve and block my HW supply (I had to drain the CW header tank and dismantle the blocked valve to clear it) I hope this information is never needed!

Reply to
Brian S Gray

Don't think we get many bats here, but I live in hope. How would I know that was happening? I have 2 feeds from the loft tank, both have taps on as they leave the tank, one is the CW feed and the other is to HW system.

Reply to
Dean

On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 23:00:24 +0100, in uk.d-i-y Dean strung together this:

If the water runs slower, something's blocked. If it's the hot then the feed to the HW tank is blocked and if it's the cold then the CW feed is blocked.

Reply to
Lurch