Death through dodgy wiring

You don't need to, the new colours are available now, as the cable is not dated, it was obviously purchased yesterday- 2004!

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

Hear, hear. Bring in a 5 yearly restest, written for any new/changed legislation and a short practical(*). Fee? How about =A350, is =A310/yea= r to much to have the freedom to drive? I think not.

Nope and nope...

Passed my test 1977. But I have looked at the Highway Code since, mainly to find out that when joining a main road from slip road you do not have right of way. Which is how most people seem to join... instead of matching speed and giving way if necessary. That and giving way to traffic going uphill which I'm sure used to be there but I can't find now.

(*) Maybe in a simulator.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Anybody see the Grand Designs tonight near the end where the "electrician" has sketched out where his wiring is to go in blue paint. Hardly a straight line in sight !!!!

Reply to
G&M

Unfortunately, getting small shocks off double insulated domestic appliances like TV's and some videos is a common occurrence. The power supplies send small leakage currents out via the aerial leads, which feel like a shock and people get used to small amounts of electricity being the norm. You also get the static effects from having carpeted floors, so people tend to ignore the warning signs that something more serious is wrong. I've spent many wasted hours trying to find out if the electric shocks are "real" (dangerous) and earthing everything in reach to get rid of the effects. I don't see a foolproof viable solution to the occasional fatal accident.

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

Wow! You snipped + bottom posted!! We are honoured.

Please tell more about the US conduit, I'm most interested.

Reply to
Grunff

Yes we do, but we won't get it.

No votes in that from the senior citizen's crew......

Reply to
tony sayer

They have compulsory retests anyway.

Reply to
Rob Morley

I once hired a carpet cleaner which was double insulated, but had a metal outer case, presumably for durability. Unfortunately, the cable had slipped through the grip, whilst still functioning, and the live conductor had made contact with the casing. I only realised there was a problem when it sparked to a radiator.

Luckily no harm done, and hire fee waived, but it could so easily have been much more serious.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I did a 40 question quick test on a road safety website and got 1 wrong, I don't think that's too bad for someone who last had a formal lesson/test 13 years ago. The only one I got wrong was about trams, and I'm about as likely to come across one of those round here as I am stretch of motorway.

There is an online theory test on

but the damn thing errors out on me after 32 of the 35 questions.

Reply to
James Hart

What was the green though? Water, data, TV?

Reply to
James Hart

You are?

It takes you down the road of crap electrical fittings (and I mean crap) and the dreaded wire nuts.....

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I've been to the US twice, but never really paid much attention to their wiring. I'm curious about this flexible steel conduit. What's it like?

Reply to
Grunff

Well, there's a thriving Marina owners club. And Allegro...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not so. Anyone can be ordered to have a retest by magistrates, but it tends to get the publicity when some old f**t drives the wrong way up a motorway. IIRC, you do need a doctor's note after a certain age - 70?

However, it's the young testosterone fuelled drivers that have the majority of accidents per mile driven - not the elderly.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Reply to
Rob Morley

It comes in steel or alooominnum and is spiral in construction.

Go to

and lookup SKU 652180

as one example.

Galvanised steel conduit is also used.

Mostly the conduit seems to be used with singles as one would here, but I believe they also use it with Romex (brand of T&E)

There are truly lovely wiring accessories like switch 614323 (note the terminals on the side) and socket outlets 697879 (note the price for

10)

However, don't worry, you can hook the wires together with 973039

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Indeed, but by and large people join clubs because they're enthusiasts and not because they want cheap insurance on old wrecks they have no intention of restoring.

Reply to
Richard Porter

Yes, probably because they lose patience with old f**t drivers failing to make satisfactory progress. And of course because they show off to their mates, don't have enough experience to anticipate hazards, think it won't happen to them, etc., etc.

Reply to
Richard Porter

Surface run, of course, no problem, and protected I can understand, providing the protection is decent, but 50mm deep is more of a hazard than leaving it just under the render, IMO. With brown rawlplugs at

40mm and heavy duty fixings even longer it's only going to provide a false sense of security. I'd rather it were just left under the plaster so at least it could be detected. Even if you were using small fixings you can easily drill too far (and I've done it when my mind is on other things) - you start a series of holes and get used to the resistance from drilling into brick, then you drill the next hole and it goes through mortar or render only and you end up drilling too far.
Reply to
StealthUK

Indeed. I have issues with the "buried" option. It is one that is rarely used, though, as it is impractical anyway. It requires too deep a chase in masonry and is not possible on a standard stud partition wall, as these are approximately 100mm deep, so the cable will be

Reply to
Christian McArdle