dead wasp nest and the lingering stench of death!

I let one be until the neighbours complained that the flightline into the woods tended to go into the baby's bedroom window...

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

I was once told that you should destroy wasps nests in winter, as they can get re-used in summer ... no idea if it's true. But it meant I cleaned out this massive 2ft structure that had been built behind the fascia panels on our house when I replaced the guttering ... it was quite impressive

Reply to
Jethro

There are too many things wrong with that claim ...

Reply to
Mary Fisher

It's not. A queen wasp cominig out of hibernation is programmed to start a new one, she wouldn't regognise an old one.

They are!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Thus spake snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) unto the assembled multitudes:

Try blundering into one of those plastic washing baskets, barefoot in the dark. I thought I had taken off my little toe once. Ow!!!

Re wasps, they are such useful creatures (preying on lots of garden pests) while the nests are active, that it seems a shame to destroy them. It's only in August when the nests break up that they start becoming a complete pain, especially when they get drunk on rotting apples.

Reply to
A.Clews

My grammar? or the facts?

The nest was built under the eaves of the house, on the outside, on the sloping part of the gable end, on the side nearest the local woods.

Between us and the woods is another house. The owners of that house had a baby (she's a bit bigger now!) and the baby's room faced our house.

They had a lot of trouble with wasps flying in through the open window, when they didn't get it right on their way to hunt in the woods.

Does that make it clear?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Believe me it's not a "local reaction" Mary - and it lays me low for well over a week! As I said, "I swell up like a ruddy balloon".

Yes, I find WD40 *VERY* effective. As for cars, two have hit me in 58 years (both times my fault I may add)! Dogs, I hate them more than wasps and if I could "shoot" them I damn well would! As for humans, well 99% are ok, the other 1% - well, killing would be far too quick!

BTW, apologies for the delay in responding, but holiday preparations had a higher priority and I'm off tomorrow.

Brian G

Reply to
Brian G

replying to Cookie, IainL wrote: I have something similar: a destroyed nest under the eaves and now a bad smell akin to old, sour milk in the room below. Does this sound familiar and did the smell eventually fade away?

Reply to
IainL

posted on September 11, 2007, 8:55 am

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If the answer to the second question is "No", then he really does have a problem.

Reply to
Davey

It's interesting to explore the menu options of the Waspbane website.

Cynic

Well did it, if not I'd have thought the nest would have been removed by some irate person in the intervening years. Having said all of that part of a nest is still under my bathroom floor, and I've never smelled anything. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Reply to
Andrew