Dead washing machine - help!

My twelve year old Hoover Classica washer has just died completely. However that's the least of my worries, my main problem is that the missus is moving in for the kill and is now demanding a new one (she's even talking about getting a Dyson!). My only salvation from being deprived of a considerable amount of beer tokens is to fix the thing *very* soon.

Here's the symptoms. The washer appears completely dead like there is no power to it at all. I first checked the socket, fuses etc to no avail. As it was only half-full of water it appears it stopped when it was pumping out. I've whipped the bottom hose off, drained the water and removed the pump cover. There's nothing blocking it and the pump turns freely.

Any clues as to what to do next? I really don't want to dump the washer as it's in good nick and up to now has worked as well as the day we got it.

Does the pump actually work?

have bits available very inexpensively.

Connect the pump to the mains (using appropriate connectors), and see if it runs. (assuming it's a mains pump.)

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Thanks for your suggestion. I took the pump out and yes it does work. The unit appears to be totally dead as the power light doesn't come on. Unfortunately I haven't got my multimeter with me to see what is powered up and what is not. I've also tried without success to bypass the door switch.

Utterly and completely dead? No lights indications anything?

If so:

Mains actually getting to M/C ? Yes?

If so:

Dud mains switch? Mains switch good? Yes?

If so:

Then the incoming mains usually goes to an interference filter to stop spikes and interference getting in/out. Because of the presence of the heater these components have to have quite a high current rating for such a small package and may run hot, I've known them to fail.

If all else fails the machine will work without it if the input/output connections are connected together (make sure you know what you are doing) to maintain the circuit in the absence of the missing filter.

Replace it with a manufacturer's spare ASAP.

HTH

If it doesn't we need more details.

DG

Reply to
derek *

Look out for blown fuses. Follow the mains input through the on/off switch and you should come across some. Very difficult though without a multi-meter - or at least a neon tester.

Reply to
Farmer Giles