Dead UPS - options

After suffering another power cut (is it me, or are they getting more frequent ?) and having my house server go down spectacularly ungracefully, my thoughts turned to the UPS I used have, which went wonky after a previous power outage (when power came on it wouldn't stop squealing).

Anyway, having plugged it on, and tried to investigate with the supplied software, I have come to the conclusion it's deader than a dodo. Presumably the batteries have died.

It's an Eaton NV 400

1) I guess there's nothing to revive batteries reliably ? 2) these guys
a replacement battery for £32 3) However, eBuyer has
£59.00

Do others support my instinct to shell out a bit more, but have a brand new unit, rather than ending up with an old unit (albeit with a new battery) ?

All I want it to do is keep the server alive long enough to perform a graceful shutdown - so supply power for a maximum of 5 minutes.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I'm guessing that it's a standard 12V lead-acid battery. I would look for equivalents of the battery you already have.

Ebay is a good staring point and compare height/width/depth and make sure it fits, and has the same size terminals, typically spade connections of which there are different sizes!

Reply to
Fredxx

Agreed. It *may* be a deep discharge one ("leisure" battery). If it were mine, before buying a new battery I would hook it up to a spare car battery and give it a few tries, to check out the electronics. Obviously, confirm that it is 12V not 6V, and get the polarity right!

To answer your other point, batteries don't generally revive. You might be lucky if you put it on a trickle charge for a while.

Reply to
newshound

I always found the small-ish Eaton UPSes were good (DEC used to supply them with their storageworks arrays), I'd be tempted to find a local battery supplier, either measure it up then search to make sure you find the right size and type of contacts, or just take th old one with you.

Reply to
Andy Burns

No lights, beeps or other signs of life?

Probably. Do you have a meter to measure the terminal voltage? What is the nominal battery voltage for the UPS 12 or 24v? Could provide a suitable temporary battery to test the rest of the UPS. Say from a car battery or two?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In UPS applications they are often deformed when you take them out depending on how much of a hard life they had. I have yet to see one that could be restored to anything beyond a tiny fraction of its nominal capacity after removal.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Some UPS won't charge a totally dead battery but simply act dead. It might be worth putting the battery on any old charger for a few minutes to get some volts at the terminals and trying again.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Andy Burns spake thus:

I've always found MDS battery to be helpful.

don't list Eaton UPSes but they may have a generic replacement.

No connection, just an occasional customer.

Reply to
Scion

+1
Reply to
Bob Eager

En el artículo , Jethro_uk escribió:

I've used car battery chargers with success in the past, but make sure it's the electronic type that monitors charging, and if it has a low current/low charge rate switch, use it.

Don't charge indoors, just in case the battery bursts.

It's probably a standard 12V 7Ah lead acid battery. Available very cheaply from your local burglar alarm supplier - just take the old one(s) in and ask them to match. About 6-7 quid from mine.

Yuasa are the best make.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Noted. I'd rather do *anything* than do business with Bedford Batteries.

Reply to
Huge

Presumably would also do for APC units?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Thanks for replies guys.

I've got the battery out now - it's a YUASA NPW42-12, so I shall google for that.

Did somebody mention batteries "bursting" ? Because there's a definite bulge around one of the cells.

A DVM reads 3.77 V across the terminals - not good I imagine.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

That's a odd number. All I can google is NPW45-12. Which looks *very* similar to the NP7-12, the NPW might have a bit more capacity than the NP. Check the physical size.

Not good at all, with bulging it's not even worth trying to resurect. Weigh it in.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

my bad, you are right. it's NPW4*5*-12

Oh well ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

En el artículo , Martin Brown escribió:

Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , Tim Streater escribió:

Yep. They're all much of a muchness. Someone mentioned the terminal size. It's not a concern as long as the spade connectors are a tight fit; tweak them with a pair of pliers if necessary.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

showed us a while ago...

Reply to
Bob Eager

's the 7 that could be prised out with a small bar. The remaining 92 needed a chisel and crowbar...

The contractors wouldn't let us take photos of the molten mess of those :-(

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

OK, ta. I see the NPW45-12 looks similar to the APC replacement battery for the BE550G-UK and at £21 instead of £30 from APC.

Reply to
Tim Streater