Dead SDS+ drilling machine - replacement chioce?

My 4 year-old NuTool SDS+ unit has come to the end of it's useful life - cracked nose section and failed rotate + hammer/hammer only selection mechanism (it is locked in 'rotate + hammer' mode). The failed action selection is not a terrible loss as you'll see below but the cracked nose (or rather in bits nose cone now I have taken it apart!) is a show stopper. As it cost all of £40 and was a 'not sure if I'll ever use this but . . . ' purchase I can't complain.

It was a 650W model, so not hugely powerful, but adequate for everything I did with it. It was annoying that the chuck rotated freely when in hammer-mode only, i.e. chisel bits were able to follow the terrain - so I rarely used it in hammer-only mode. The absence of a clutch surprised me twice with severe wrist-frightening when the drill snagged while drilling holes.

So, having found that I do use it I'd appreciate suggestions for a replacement (bearing the two comments above in mind if possible).

Ideally the magic £100 is an upper limit but . . . .

TIA

Richard

Reply to
Richard

For a cheap but heavy machine the £45 Fraud from Screwfix is very meaty (1100W - and a very necessary safety clutch) but particularly heavy (you deffo wouldn't want it for chiselling tiles off a wall for example, unless you were built like the governor of California :-). For a lighter weight machine I'd consider the green Bosch (under £100 from Agros etc last time I looked). I wasn't impressed with Sfx's Erbauer (and broke it within less than a year).

Reply to
John Stumbles

Sounds good - I didn't do any tile stripping (wandering chisel bits) but used a wondrous tool from Tiles R Us (or some such) which is a steel plate a bit over tile sized with a sharp edge and chunk of steel on the opposite edge attached to a handle. Basically a heavy scraper which takes the tiles off as if they weren't attached.

Back to the drill - I'll take a peek at SFX. Aren't NGs brilliant!

Ta

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Hi John

Just looked at SFX without success. I can only find super expensive machines (apart from the Erbauer) and a Ferm version of mine at £29.99)

Has it been discontinued?

Richard

Reply to
Richard

I've a similar Argos cheapo which is still going strong.... Although I've been tempted by this

Old Bill

Still reckon the daddy of the medium price ones is the DeWalt 566. It's about the perfect weight/size/power compromise for general DIY use. Not too heavy for chasing walls, etc, and it has a variable position rotation stop. Mine is an early one and had a deal of use, but given no trouble. There are some suggestions that quality control may not be so good these days, though. 135 squids from Screwfix.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

's on the back of the current (? spring 2005 - Vol 77) treeware catalogue so I'd guess it's just out of stock

Reply to
John Stumbles

It's garbage, when for about the same, and less, price a Makita from Screwfix and Hitachi from BES are available.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Don't take any notice, I use Bosch & Dewalt SDS drills nearly every day at work, and out of the 2 the Bosch is much more durable. In fact I have had one 110v Bosch SDS since 1993 thats 12 years and it still works fine. The Dewalt is 18v SDS and had a new motor, new switch and is 2 years old. My colleage has a 110v Makita that is around 8 years old and still working fine. I am so happy with Bosch that I have just bought a new Swss made Bosch GSB 18VE-2 this week.

So don't listen to Doctor Evil he has never used a decent power tool in his life.

Reply to
Kaiser

I have Bosch tools, Swiss made. They are overpriced crap, my experiences of them in the past is the same. Give em a miss.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Which one of these do you own?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If you go in to any factory maintenance department you will find they use Bosch or Metabo drills, very rarely anything else, so it speaks for its self.

Reply to
Kaiser

He don't own any of them. The only tools he owns is what he finds out the back of Wickes in the skip.

Reply to
Kaiser

A Kress, which are also available quite reasonably from Wickes at around £105-110 and approx 600W and a 3 year guarantee too. A class act. Kress are repairable if that appeals, not throw away like in the DIY sheds. DeWalt? You are having a laugh.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

experiences

No it doesn't. They just buy them on past reputation. That is how Bosch, DeWalt etc have survived so long. The BMW syndrome.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

I wish I could.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Coming from him I'll take that as a first class recommednation.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

For you. Buy one, no buy two. You need to buy two.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

So you don't own a DeWalt, Makita, or Hitachi, but pronounce on them?

More quoting adverts, fool?

I'm certainly not. If I recommend anything in this group it's because I've owned it and used it, but will try and qualify that recommendation with the use I give it. I take adverts for what they are - mostly lies. You really should try and do the same. Fat chance.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)