Dead radiator

The radiator in our en-suite has stopped working. (Probably the worst one in the house so to do.) It's full of water, not air, and I've removed the TRV head & pulled the pin up, so it isn't the TRV stuck shut. So, what could be causing this? And is there anything I can do about it other than getting a plumber in?

(BTW, we also have a radiator in the (integral) garage which has never worked, same symptoms. Since I don't care about heating the garage, I've never bothered doing anything about it.)

Reply to
Huge

It could be a bubble. Turn all the other radiators off and see that will blow the bubble out. Works for our bathroom radiator that has a short run of pipes to it that go up and then down again between mezanine floors.

-- JJ

Reply to
Jason

Close all other radiator TRVs and turn up pump to the max.

There is probably an air bubble which will be cleared by doing this.

Reply to
Andy Hall

You could have an air lock in *one* of the pipes, and still have it fill up with water when you bleed it, but not get any flow through it.

If the trick suggested by others - of turning off the other rads and turning up the pump - doesn't work, try bleeding each pipe separately. To do this, fully turn off each valve in turn and bleed 2 or 3 litres out with only one valve open. [You may need to remove the TRV's thermostatic head and replace it with the 'decorating' head (hopefully supplied with it) to make sure that that is fully closed.]

Reply to
Roger Mills

Crud in the lockshield valve? If you don't have that open very far (because that's what gives correct balance) it doesn't take much to block it.

Open the lockshield by a few turns (count how many), wait a minute or two and close it back the same amount. While the heating's running, of course!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Is the lockshield on the other end of the radiator opened enough?

Reply to
John

Simply pulling the pin up on a seized TRV often does not allow the valve to push open. Remove the head again and push the pin fully in (probably need a tool of some sort to save the fingers.) If the pin does not push itself out then it's a good bet that the valve is still seized..

Reply to
Heliotrope Smith

sticking trvs .... most likely the fault. take the head off and tap the pin repeatedly down and this will cause the rubber to come off the seat,try it... it works pete

Reply to
gasman pete