Dead hotpoint dishwasher

Hello,
About 4 months after moving into a house with a dishwasher, the things broken down. I've got all the original info - it was bought in October 2001.
Anyway, the thing is totally dead. My wife turned it on and went out. When she got back there was water in the bottom and none of the lights will come on.
I've checked the wall socket and the fuse in the plug. That's about the end of my knowledge. The manual suggested another reason could be a block in the fresh water supply which I don't think is probable - how would that get blocked?
Any ideas or advice on how I could fix it? Bear in mind I'm rubbish at this!
I've not had a house before so I'm not up on these things. Presumably I could get someone to come round and look at it for a 50 call out charge or something. Or I could probably disconnect it and take it to a local repair place - sounds cheaper. I live in Slough so if anyone could recomend one around there then that would be handy.
Thanks.
Peter
--
http://www.beluga.freeserve.co.uk

Peter Smithson wrote:

One main part in a DW is the pump. If that goes, mine did, its probably not worth repairing. However, DWers are relatively simple machines so they should last 10 years, my last 2 did.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

I read a few articles on the which website last night. One was a reliablity review which showed that out of about 15 manufacturers, hotpoint and one other were in the "below average" section! But on the good side, the parts were very cheap. It listed a pump as being 15 for a certain model so it might be worth replacing in this case - if it's the problem. Other washers were about 70 on average for the same part.
Cheers
Peter