Dead 12v Deep Discharge Batteries

We have two deep discharge 12v batteries which have gone dry and have no charge. They were left on a high quality intelligent charger on a boat for the winter and normally survive this fine, but this year not.

Anyway, is it possible to revive them or will I just dump them ?

Paul Mc Cann

Reply to
fred

No Hope I'm afraid. Spare anchors only!

Maybe worth getting the charger checked over as it should not have killed them or maybe they were on their way out anyway?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

If they're SLAs and the charger was designed for wet cells, that could explain it. I'm not optimistic, but it might be worth giving them a high voltage charge for a bit to see if that desulphates them. Its been known to work.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

You could try flushing them through with de-ionised water and re-filling with electrolyte. Then a long slow charge. But I wouldn't hold my breath.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Probably best to skip the water flush, it can cause premature plate failure.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember fred saying something like:

Sometimes. A pulse de-sulphator can work, but it's not guaranteed. I've had some success with mine, enough to make it worthwhile getting one.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon