De-gothing a bedroom

Nobody seems to have suggested scraping it off using an electric hot air gun. For older (oil based) gloss that seems to work well - it bubbles up and then scrapes off easily. Robert

Reply to
RobertL

I've done a lot of that - but it's only worth doing for really nice woodwork. If it's the standard modern stuff, it makes more sense to simply replace it.

Reply to
S Viemeister

And a smaller room.

Mary

Reply to
oldhenwife

Nobody seems to have mentioned the Mr Bean method of painting either

Reply to
geoff

It depends. Replacing door frames can be PITA. Using a electric hot air gun and scraper is very quick and easy IMHO.

Reply to
Mark

One of our neighbours got to do both. Painting UPVC is a bad enough idea, but it's not as bad as hot-air stripping it.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Bean attempts a spot of DIY and tries to paint his room. He covers everything in newspaper and uses fireworks to blow up the tin. From Do-It-Yourself Mr Bean.

Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

Now I would have videoed that and put in on YouTube:-)

Reply to
ARWadsworth

In article , Tim Downie writes

Paint over with aluminium paint to stop colour bleed through and the decorate as usual.

Reply to
Chris Holford

Are you sure about that? When I moved into this house the garage had been painted with "aluminium" paint, this was always dusty and every time I re-painted it, the dullness of the aluminium came through the gloss within a couple of months.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Perhaps you should have used undercoat before the gloss coat. Aluminium paint used to be sold as a primer for resinous woods. You didn't need knotting.

Reply to
charles

Reply to
Andy Burns

[2nd post]

Probably I didn't on the first attempt, but I did on the next attempt and it still ruined the finish, third attempt I sanded a much of it off as I could and it was looking good for a while, but then the mechanism broke so the door was replaced anyway!

Reply to
Andy Burns

Aye, I remember the duck-tape DIY draft proofing there.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

If you can get a sample of the original colour and add that to the undercoat you intend to apply, it will cut a lot of the glare-through out. It does this by supplying a universal rather than splotched "showing through" or glare.

Use high quality paints as they use a better "colour". In white paint this should be titanium oxide and there is no way of knowing which brand contains the optimum other than asking experienced decorators.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

I meant "grins" but forgot the term.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

The Natural Philospher (of this parish) has described Farrow and Ball as "three times the pigment for only twice the price" - that fits with my experience.

Reply to
Martin Bonner

I'm always an advocate of the best way to apply pigment to a wall being to mix more of it into the binder, rather than having to paint more binder onto the wall manually. However F&B are a crazy price, and you can obtain equally good paints from several other high-end ranges for much less than F&B's yummy mummy prices on Cotswold village high streets. I tend to use Crown's RIBA range, as they're easily available from Crown decorator centres.

Reply to
Andy Dingley