De-gothing a bedroom

Whats the best way of removing or covering dark purple gloss paint on the woodwork (back to gloss white)?

It's not a big room so I suppose I should consider simply replacing it all but I'd rather not.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Angle grinder.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Nitromors?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Combined with the requisite exorcism, that could be quite spectacular.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Leverton

Clean with sugar soap, etc, then sand down to provide a key, undercoat, then gloss. Same as any other paint job. But might be better to use two coats of undercoat.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Stick a cog on it?

It seems to work for turning aging goths into steampunks!

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Who gothed it in the first place?

Iwaub

Reply to
Owain

blowtorch or paint stripper.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Could be worse. Remember the tossers that glossed the walls at my mates house with black gloss?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

You sure it's dark purple? Maybe it won't look so bad when you put the light bulbs back in.

Reply to
mike

Just paint over it, going from dark to white isnt a problem. Sometimes it needs an extra coat.

NT

Reply to
NT

Oh yes.

I had a bedroom once where the previous occupant had used rubberised paint on the ceiling.

At first I thought it was artex, the finish was so bad.

It peeled off in long stretchy strips.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

*only* on the ceiling? what on earth were they doing in there???

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

If it had been the top floor of Murray I'd have suggested a cheapo attempt at waterproofing the ceiling.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Only 2?

I'd keep undercoating until the purple is invisible.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

If you keep undercoating you're likely to end up (if ever) with a "washed-out" mess, losing all detail on mouldings etc.

You'd do much better if you can actually remove as much as possible of the offending paint.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Unless you use low-energy bulbs...

Reply to
Frank Erskine

On Tue, 06 Sep 2011 23:42:59 +0100, Frank Erskine gently dipped his quill in the best Quink that money could buy:

Use this

the link wraps and does not work .. just Google Zinsser

Mike P the 1st

Reply to
Mike P the 1st

Wouldn't it have just been something like this stuff:

've seen ceilings in the past with similar symptoms caused by this sort of paint

David

Reply to
Lobster

It probably predated that sort of product, and it certainly wasn't a good-as-new finish.

I suspect it fell off the back of a boatyard somewhere - the Hazard Orange walls and neighbour's Battleship Grey kitchen reinforce the possibility of a non-domestic palette.

Owain

Reply to
Owain