DC or AC supply

I've been given a CCTV camera that has two terminals for the power in. It says DC12V AC24V

Does that mean that it will run with DC or AC? I'd like to run it on

12V DC. If it had a half wave rectifier inside I would expect that to equate to about 15V DC.

It's a Panasonic WV-CL834E and I can't find out anything about it from Google.

Reply to
Matty F

That is certainly how I would read that marking on a single input.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

It has occurred to me to Google for DC12V AC24V and there are lots of other brands that have those dual voltages.

I have another Panasonic camera that has only AC24V on it. I suppose I dare not try to run it on DC12V. Or I could open it up and see if the terminals go straight to diodes.

Reply to
Matty F

Sounds like it.

It will almost certainly have a regulated DC rail, so could probably cope with a wide range of voltages. 24v AC might just be a standard for this sort of thing.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It is, apparently. Frequently these are fitted in a housing with a thermostat/heater, which tend to work from a 24V ac supply, so that can be used for both heater and camera.

Reply to
Frank Erskine