DC mains (was: Are 3A plug fuses really necessary?)

We have used a High Voltage DC link to share power with France (due to different peak demand times) ... initially a 160MW connection and now a

2GW link

Also to a smaller degree with Belgiumn, NL and Eire

So DC still in use.

Reply to
rick

All the main undersea national interconnectors are DC (not sure about short ones like to Isle of Wight), I believe partly because of cable capacitance but also because the UK and French grids are not synchronised.

I can just about see a case for having DC circuits around a house (although since switched mode power supplies are cheap and efficient, I'm not even sure about that).

Reply to
newshound

En el artículo , rick escribió:

The new Western Link from Scotland to Deeside, Wales is 400kV DC.

Mike Tomlinson

AFAIK the first serious submarine cable was in 1954:

Unless you include various DC systems in the USA and UK that existed before.

Reply to
Fredxxx